Anyone ever ask for cash discount ?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
ORChick said:
New Jersey, and Oregon. I think these are the only two states where pumping gas yourself is not allowed. It means there are jobs for some who might not have them, I suppose. Don't know about New Jersey, but here in Oregon the price is still lower than in California, where you pump your own (different tax structure). I'm not sure about the prices in Washington. I don't mind ... especially on those wet Pacific Northwest days :lol: And, DD, I agree ... when I go down into California (at least once a year - family stuff) I have to learn all over again about how to pump gas :lol:
Gas prices are cheaper here than they are just over the bridge in both Delaware and Pennsylvania. So, people that cross the bridge for work always fill up in Jersey B4 heading either home or to work. And yeah, when it's nasty out, I'm glad I don't have to pump my own gas! :lol:

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Denim Deb said:
Wannabefree said:
Wait..what? Not ALLOWED to pump your own fuel?! There are few full serve stations left here, and i always pump my own, but wow, not even allowed....that's a new one to me.

Yes, I ALWAYS ask for a cash discount, and get one about half the time. I also always ask for the model that they don't have in stock of whatever I am buying, and then get them to sell me the display at way cheaper. I'm a tight wad :lol:
Yep, not allowed to pump your own gas-unless you're on a motorcycle.
That's just weird :p
If you think about it there are some good safety reasons. How many times have you seen pump your own customers with a cell phone to their ear or smoking or trying to make sure the tank is full and overflowing on to the ground? and don't forget the ones that don't replace the gas cap or even better driving off with the hose still in the car.
Here it is more a matter of who buys their gas there, They must provide assistance to the disabled and many office workers don't want to get dirty or smell of gasoline. You can usually tell by the number of pumps, 4 is about the most that one person can handle so if they have 20 or 24 pumps it is a pump your own joint for sure. 8 is pretty typical here with the 4 closest to the building being assisted and the 4 away from the building are self.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My opthamologist gives me the "medicare allowable" price on care, since I am non-insured at the moment. That is as much as a 50% discount. My rheumatologist is in with a big hospital conglomerate, but still gives a 15% discount if I pay at time of service. At big department stores, if you are pleasant to the clerk who helps you, they will often give you a discount without even asking for it. (Not that I shop big department stores very often, but I used to:/)

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I ALWAYS ask for a cash discount. The best one recently was when I had my gas fireplace repaired. The bill was $115, I asked if he gave a discount for cash and he said he'd take $100.

I have the best success in getting cash discounts from owners of small businesses, and from salespeople on commission. Owners have no fear of overstepping some limit to their authority, and salespeople on comission would rather get part of their commission than none of it.

One tip for paying cash is to always get a receipt that says "paid". You don't want someone pocketing your cash and still billing you for the amount of the service.

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
In some parts of the world prices are inflated to allow reductions for haggling.