Anyone ever free range Cornish X?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:pop I plan on putting my ten outside in a few weeks to finish off....but I can't put a cord out there, so I have to wait until they are six weeks old. I had eleven and lost one right away, and just now I see that one is walking on one leg, holding the other completely off the ground....why? It looks ok otherwise. There is nothing in there to get hurt on. They are two weeks old...well, 16 days, to be accurate, and with some Americauna pullets of the same age.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm sorry. I've been around how long and I still don't know you two apart... I guess we need to chat more!

Make you an avatar.. What do you want it to say? A picture maybe? How about a pumpkin to go with your sig line?

Sorry, I meant title, but your not the one with the title about squashes and pumpkins... Sorry! See what I mean?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
If you make me an avatar, I'll put it up. I am computer challenged in that area.

I am flattered that you get me confused with Me&thegals, I take that as a compliment.
That's sweet of you!

Yeah--I'd like an avatar, too! I can't even figure out how to post pictures online, which is a good thing. I would go nuts.

me&thegals

Reaction score
Blackbird said:
I'm sorry. I've been around how long and I still don't know you two apart... I guess we need to chat more!

Make you an avatar.. What do you want it to say? A picture maybe? How about a pumpkin to go with your sig line?

Sorry, I meant title, but your not the one with the title about squashes and pumpkins... Sorry! See what I mean?
And you still have us confused!! :D Miss asked for the avatar, and I'm the one with the squash title. Hee hee!

Free--Is it really cold by you? We have a heat lamp in the barn, a ramp leading to the outside, and all the food and water outside. I keep moving the food and water further and further away each day to get them moving and keep the grass going good. It has been 50s to 60s here, and they are loving it outside since age 3 weeks! They just go in at night to get under the heat lamp. Of course, really cold and rainy days I would leave the light on during the day and bring some food and water in.

Anyway, I am super excited to have some more healthful meat this year. I just listened to "Anticancer" and learned more about the imbalance between omega-3 and omega-6 in most meats. They are definitely eating a lot of grass, so it's exciting.

One gross side note: One died of unknown causes (not witnessed), and DH said it was half eaten in the morning. Yikes! These things are RULED by their appetites! They ARE so, so tasty, though. I'm excited to have another chance with them, as they are not so freaky this time now that it's cool enough to pasture them.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Oh my my my.

Do you know how to get pictures from your camera onto the computer?
If you can figure that part out I'm sure we could figure out how to get you an avatar! Don't both of you have kids? I bet they would know too!

me&thegals

Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Oh my my my.

Do you know how to get pictures from your camera onto the computer?
If you can figure that part out I'm sure we could figure out how to get you an avatar! Don't both of you have kids? I bet they would know too!
:D

Yes, I have learned to download from camera to computer. But, when I went to post soap pictures on a soaping forum, it was definitely not a copy-and-paste sort of operation. It seemed like I needed to set up a separate picture site and post there, then link into the other forum.

How does it work here?

As for kids, I have them, but I keep them as computer illiterate as possible :) They don't even know they can erase their own web histories yet. I busted my DS for being on a sports site instead of doing homework, as he claimed he had been doing. No plans to educate them on computer stuff quite yet...

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Ok then! Hopefully I won't highjack the thread too terribly!

You can use a different website to copy and paste links of photos, OR you can use the photo sharing feature on this forum.

If you want to use the photo feature here, click 'Uploads' located at the top of the page in the blue bar, it should pop up another page.

Then you should see a browse button. Click that and locate the file your photo is on, click the photo and click Open.

Then, under that you should see a resizing button. I always have mine set up at 320x240, but there are other size options that you can explore. I never have though..

Then, you click 'Submit' and it should upload the photo and take you to the result. You can copy the thumb link to paste the photo as a 'thumbnail' which is a smaller sized photo that is clickable to view larger.

Or, you can copy the 'Image' link and paste it and it will show up as a larger full sized picture, depending on your resizing settings.

Also, if you have uploaded photos using the feature on here, to get to them whenever you want, click 'Uploads' again and at the bottom right of that page there is a 'My Uploads' Button that will take you to all of your photos that you have uploaded. There you have the option to delete them, copy links, etc.

For your avatar, to go Profile at the top of the page in the blue toolbar > Personality> Upload/Change Avatar> choose your photo and click open, then click Submit and it should show up!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Free--Is it really cold by you? We have a heat lamp in the barn, a ramp leading to the outside, and all the food and water outside. I keep moving the food and water further and further away each day to get them moving and keep the grass going good. It has been 50s to 60s here, and they are loving it outside since age 3 weeks! They just go in at night to get under the heat lamp. Of course, really cold and rainy days I would leave the light on during the day and bring some food and water in.
We are going to have early frosts possibly this weekend, it went from ridiculously hot and now this! Not much in between!

All my tiny barn space is taken, plus I still have at least one rat leftover (invasion when two abandoned houses were torn down across the street) and the cats have both disappeared. So the chicks are in the cellar in a wading pool with cardboard walls and deer netting on the top, and a heatlamp. The brooder is currently occupied by this year's buck...the chicks were a spur-of-the-moment order since we lost so many layers to an eagle and chaos, heat, and rats kept me from ordering meat chicks sooner. I'd wanted to get the chicks all done by the time I bought the buck, but....it was a strange and chaotic year or two here.

So I haven't figured out a way to get them outside sooner, since I can't run an extension cord safely across the goat's area to put them in the area that they will grow out in....the tomato garden is fenced with chicken wire and a low hotwire and I will put a small hoophouse in there. From there, the meaties will go into the freezer and the laying pullets will join the flock in the coop for the winter.

I could put them in one of the goat's stalls with a heat lamp since everyone is weaned now and can live communally, but I am still concerned about that rat. I put poison out tonight, so we will see what happens. I've seen no evidence of breeding activity, and have only seen one rat, so I'm hoping there is only one left.

me&thegals

Reaction score
Thanks, Blackbird!!

Free--what a busy life you are having :D I see why you don't have the birds out yet. Doesn't it sometimes seem like a farm could use an urban (rural) planner to work out all the who-goes-where-when problems?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I need more buildings and pens!!! I plan on cross-fencing my field, at least one line of fencing per year. And more a-frame huts like the pig house. Then I will have spaces to put all these projects that I start without thinking them through!