Anyone ever make dandelion jelly?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Never heard of this, but I hope to make some wine and some tempura this spring! We are still a ways from dandelions, it seems. Last year I was too busy with kids, we will see about this year....

Dandelions are very good for you!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The dandelions are just starting to spread, but no flowers yet. I was thinking of dandelion wine this year.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
I made dandelion wine. I am allergic to it. :p

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am going to try to make dandelion jelly this year, hopefully someday dandelion wine, and I have already made dandelion fizz. I don't think it has much of an alcohol content, but it's a tasty drink.

Dandelion Fizz

1 litre prepared dandelion flowers
2.5 litres water
1 litre sugar
2 lemons

Gather the dandelion flowers in the sun when they are fully open. Trim the stalks from the flowers, leaving the green sepals. Discard any unopened buds. When gently pressed down, the dandelions should be 1 litre.

Wash the flowers in a colander, and put into an earthenware, enamel or plastic container preferably with a well-fitting lid. Pour 2.5 litres of boiling water onto the flowers, and cover the vessel with lid (or heavy board, or plate) and let stand for 12 hours.

Strain the liquid through a double thickness of muslin into a large saucepan. Add the sugar and pared rind and juice of the lemons. Heat gently and stir until the sugar has dissolved, but do not allow to boil. Strain the liquid into jugs and leave to cool. Pour into clean, dry bottles with strong screw caps.

The brew is ready to drink in three or four weeks.

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The fizz sounds yummy! I love just plain 'ol dandelion tea. It's very good for you - great for the liver!

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've never made dandelion anything, but am thinking about heading to my FILs house (he has lots of dandelions and his wife HATES them) and gathering a bunch... dandelion root tea? Dry the flowers? what else can we do with them?