Anyone feed chickens a simple mix of whole grains?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do any of you feed other legumes (not soy) to your chickens? And, if so, how? Cooked, raw, whole, cracked into smaller pieces? I'm transitioning over to whole grains now, and think I should be adding something to up the protein - or maybe not, they do get time out on the lawn most days.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Harvey Ussery writes about feeding whole field peas (Austrian peas, if I remember correctly.) I just sprout grains to up the protein during winter and feed meat scraps and bones from broth making. They get bugs as soon as there is bare ground around the edges of the field.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Funny you should mention this...I was just thinking about it yesterday.

I sprouted some plain ol' brown lentils a couple weeks ago, just to see if my hens would eat them. They finally got around to pecking at them and the next time I went out, they were gone. My girls also like cooked beans.

I had thought about growing pinto beans (or others), but they are so dang cheap at the grocery store and I don't need to expand my gardening space at this time. So I pondered growing beans in the coops front yard, just for the hens. But I don't think they could handle those larger beans without some processing - at least not when they're dry.

I have NO experience with this at all, maybe someone more knowledgeable will advise both of us.

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Funny you should mention this...I was just thinking about it yesterday.

I sprouted some plain ol' brown lentils a couple weeks ago, just to see if my hens would eat them. They finally got around to pecking at them and the next time I went out, they were gone. My girls also like cooked beans.

I had thought about growing pinto beans (or others), but they are so dang cheap at the grocery store and I don't need to expand my gardening space at this time. So I pondered growing beans in the coops front yard, just for the hens. But I don't think they could handle those larger beans without some processing - at least not when they're dry.

I have NO experience with this at all, maybe someone more knowledgeable will advise both of us.
You can go here... http://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart There is a list of what is acceptable to feed chickens and what NOT to feed them at the bottom of the page.
You will notice dried or undercooked beans is on the list of what NOT to feed.
Good luck

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Marianne said:
~gd said:
freemotion said:
The technical answer to your question is this....for a smaller pot, like a gallon or two, use one glug, and for a bigger pot, use two glugs. :D From the Latin glugicus.
That must be canned stock! the stuff I have in my refrig. has enough gelatine exrtacted from cartalige (sp) that I have to dig it out with a spoon!
Naaa, no canned stock ever, just homemade. And you're right, that homemade stuff gets pretty gel-ly. Oh, so good, huh.

Got the turkey bones in the pressure cooker now with the appropriate glug of ACV. I can't wait til it's done to see what's in there! Smells so good.
HOLY MAMA!! And here I thought that wimpy stuff I made was good stock. Bone broth from now on!! Thanks, gals!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks Lighthawk

I went to that link and found this:
Scratch is a treat for cold weather, not a complete feed. Toss it on the ground and let them scratch for it for something to do. Never feed scratch during hot weather because it raises the chickens body temperature.

Anyone want to comment on that? I used to go to BYC a long time ago, forgot about the food list. I was surprised to see this, though. My girls get scratch all the time, and it gets plenty hot here, over 100 in the summer. And with so many of us thinking about or planting grains for our hens...well, what's up with this??

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My hens get what amounts to scratch full-time. Whole grains. They are not confined, however, and complete their own diet with their free-ranging.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Right, my girls free range almost every day and I have scratch in the feeder inside the coop. I don't see how grains would raise their body temperature in excess in the summer, since that's their natural diet.

smurfette79

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I noticed one of our hens had been flying out over the door of the coop 10 feet high! going up on the ledge of the barn and laying her eggs on the wall. When I noticed her flying down off the wall. I went and looked she had been doing it for some time. I counted 28 eggs.

I gathered them up smashed them all . (They were mostly all frozen. ) put them in a pan smashed shell and all and cooked them in the oven. Let them cool and fed them to the girls. They loved them. They will eat them raw I just try not to feed them raw eggs. (I'm sure most or all of you know this but I just wanted to share. ) :pop

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
smurfette79 said:
I noticed one of our hens had been flying out over the door of the coop 10 feet high! going up on the ledge of the barn and laying her eggs on the wall. When I noticed her flying down off the wall. I went and looked she had been doing it for some time. I counted 28 eggs.

I gathered them up smashed them all . (They were mostly all frozen. ) put them in a pan smashed shell and all and cooked them in the oven. Let them cool and fed them to the girls. They loved them. They will eat them raw I just try not to feed them raw eggs. (I'm sure most or all of you know this but I just wanted to share. ) :pop
That's hilarious! I had one that was laying in an interesting spot, way up high, too. I counted 14 eggs. I just scrambled them on the stove and took them back out. I crush the shells for them anyway, but it's easier when they're a little drier. It would have been easy-peasy in the oven like you did it.

Latest posts