Anyone hand wash their clothes?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Because people want to, and because they can.

Moving on now.
I'll be moving on with you MTN... but first i just gotta say...

time is a resource... but you know what is better than having 'free' time? having profitable time that lets you NOT have to work for someone else.

some of us have reduced expenses and done other "non traditional" stuff so that we dont have to work a 'real' job. i've heard plenty of comments about why do i waste my time doing things like this... the answer is so i dont have to be haggard and harried from working a corporate (or other) job that i enjoy the work of what i'm doing here.

chickenone - no one is picking on you. but some of us are kinda surprised that you would shoot down Kala's idea. if its not you thing - thats fine. but we try and support each other's new projects instead of talking them out of it.

as MTN said, this is a ss site and most of us a do it your selfers. you might hear a lot of crazy ideas here. why not give them a try?

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie said:
I actually try not to "hand" wash and don't buy items that require it (other than a few dainties that I have), but have done it as needed over the years... when I was a student and didn't have change for the laundromat, at times when the washer didn't work over the years, for really muddy/dirty work or camping things etc.

But I just wanted to note the "non-powered" ways I've used to wash clothing that that are a step above washing by "hand". I've never used a washboard, and have always wondered if it is wearing on clothing?

The toilet plunger in a 5-gallon bucket method works really well for most clothes that can move about freely in the bucket (jeans and other heavy items are better in a larger tub). I've got stains out this way and find that it works just like a powered washer if you run through similar "cycles" of agitating and soaking. I'm seeing the vented "plunger"-type things that are actually meant for laundry showing up in discount

We hang nearly all of our laundry year-round despite not being able to hang it outside when it is wet or too cold--we have a folding laundry rack and also have really long railings between levels in our home (step down from kitchen to frontThursday) and the girls do the towels and lighter colours once a week (usually Friday--they started on laundry at ages 12 and 13 as I did when I was a girl). We find doing it over two days spreads it out almost enough to have enough "line" to dry everything on.
ETA: Ok so I screwed that whole post up so here we go again! Lol

I read somewhere about a family making one of the 5 gallon bucket systems. I found it very interesting. This family ended up making a plunger out of a dowel rod and a few thin pieces of plastic on the bottom in the shape of an x if memory serves me right.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Okay so I need a bug tub...like a stock tank, and a plunger...got it. I am SOOOO going to do this on my days off now. Why didn't I think of this?! :lol: I am going to try it next week :D DH is going to think I'm crazy...but I have a sneaking suspicion he already does so what the hay :lol:

Thanks for the idea :) I love trying new things, and it sounds fun...in a weird sorta way ;)

ETA: Chickenone I like to KNOW how to do things, even if I don't HAVE to do them in the first place. That way IF I ever do NEED the skill...I gots it :cool: You should try new things sometimes just for the experience :) It could be fun!!!! :hu

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you use a real toilet plunger as opposed to the "toilet plunger shaped tool meant for washing clothes", drill holes in the bottom part to allow water to move more freely and be sure to buy the kind that doesn't come apart easily :)

The Girl Guides instructions for the 5-gallon bucket and plunger washing machine (where I got the idea in the first place) also advise drilling a hole in the bucket lid for the plunger handle so you have a more "sealed" system (presumably because 9-12 year old Girl Guides make big messes otherwise ;))

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
ETA: Chickenone I like to KNOW how to do things, even if I don't HAVE to do them in the first place. That way IF I ever do NEED the skill...I gots it :cool: You should try new things sometimes just for the experience :) It could be fun!!!! :hu
Oh, and this :)

Sure we live in a world filled with modern "conveniences", but I swear some days that the modern solutions take way longer (and can be way more frustrating when they don't work) than the more simple or traditional ways :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
moolie said:
If you use a real toilet plunger as opposed to the "toilet plunger shaped tool meant for washing clothes", drill holes in the bottom part to allow water to move more freely and be sure to buy the kind that doesn't come apart easily :)

The Girl Guides instructions for the 5-gallon bucket and plunger washing machine (where I got the idea in the first place) also advise drilling a hole in the bucket lid for the plunger handle so you have a more "sealed" system (presumably because 9-12 year old Girl Guides make big messes otherwise ;))
Sounds like a plan!! :D I doubt DD will want to be helping though :rolleyes:

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lol about your DD--maybe get her to wash the first few loads in the bathtub with her feet as described above, then she'll LOVE using your new "washing machine" next time around ;)

It's funny, my kids love washing their own dishes and doing general clean-up at Girl Guide camp and when we camp as a family, but try to get them to simply clear the plates off the table, let alone do the dishes at home :rolleyes:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
moolie said:
Lol about your DD--maybe get her to wash the first few loads in the bathtub with her feet as described above, then she'll LOVE using your new "washing machine" next time around ;)

It's funny, my kids love washing their own dishes and doing general clean-up at Girl Guide camp and when we camp as a family, but try to get them to simply clear the plates off the table, let alone do the dishes at home :rolleyes:
Maybe I should have specified...DD FOURTEEN :lol: She does nothing that she isn't made to do, and this is her favorite look :rolleyes: <---that's my girl :lol:

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have TWO of those at my house--my oldest turns 15 on Tuesday, and my youngest turns 14 at the beginning of June.

I know well the :rolleyes: expression :lol:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I think there are regional differences in this.

Where I live,every outfit I wear outside, three seasons a year, is pretty much soaked when I return indoors. Even on dry days, everything is wet and damp. While I have methods of drying out coats and outerware, everything else must be washed daily. And clothes don't dry well on the line here. Half the time, getting them all up on the line is akin to doing a rain dance.

But when I lived in California I remember enjoying using my clothes line and being able to re-use clothing because it frankly wasn't that dirty. Nothing was muddy.

Here, different story. It might be harder to be self sufficient in all ways, and sometimes we might be picking our conveniences that we cannot do without based on our climate as well as our lifestyle.