Anyone hand wash their clothes?

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just washed a bathtub load. Filled the tub and stomped on them. My washer is on the fritz. and my truck in the shop so no way to get to town. Not worried about wringing them out too much as they can drip dry on the fence. Came out surprisingly clean for chore clothes.

Naughty

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
animalfarm said:
Just washed a bathtub load. Filled the tub and stomped on them. My washer is on the fritz. and my truck in the shop so no way to get to town. Not worried about wringing them out too much as they can drip dry on the fence. Came out surprisingly clean for chore clothes.
my dryer quit this spring - but i didnt stress about it - i use the line in summer anyway - saves on the electric bill - and have a lilac bush downwind of the line - so line dried smells sooooooo good

i think that the appliance Gods were angry with my response - so then my washer died.,..

i am lucky - just me and my 4 year old - so i use the bathtub - fill it with water and laundry detergent - agitate it a bit - and then let it soak- rinse with the shower = wring it and put it out on the line

her clothes are easy - my work clothes are easy - but blue jeans for me are horri ble- broke me of casual days reallllllllll fast - lol

lucky for me its summer - so i just wear shorts to do chores - and wear the same shorts for a few days if i can swing it - i dont get muddy - but do sweat up a storm

i will say that when summer is over - i will be getting a cheap washer - but for now i have other stuff to spend my money on

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Any one watch Pawn Stars? They had an old hand crack washing machine of some sort on there this morning. I wanted it.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Any one watch Pawn Stars? They had an old hand crack washing machine of some sort on there this morning. I wanted it.
I saw one at the local antique store and wanted it sooooo bad. But it was a little too $$

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Back with the washer posts. I have decided to recycle wash/rinse loads on laundry day. Starting with the least dirty..sheets....first...then, finishing up with the most dirty...DH work clothes. As we are on well water rationing right now, I have to do something. And driving the 10 miles to town for the laundry mat is no option either. Gas here is $3.35 right now...but, unstable..and still too high.
I tried last week, with the buckets..it worked..so so.
So this week, I have decided to get 2 more 32 gallon plastic black trashcans. Divert the wash water into it, to save and re-use for consecutive loads. In the washer. The second one for the rinse water recycle. I am also going to a bi-weekly wash schedule, on everything. That will save half my water consumption.
I am also collecting rainwater from roof runoff..to use for plants and garden. And collecting and using greywater in the bathroom, for flushing the toilet.
So far so good. My flowers and selected veggies are doing well with the greywater irrigation. I switch them around.....so none get soapy water all the time.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I didn't see where anyone mentioned another idea for wringing clothes out-- not as efficient as a wringer, but easier and better than doing it by hand: One of those Mop wringers that fit over a bucket
EX083617.jpg
I saw one at a yard sale for $10 this weekend

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am just going to use the washing machine..and recycle the water. Washers waste an awful lot of water as it is....that is not too dirty.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Britesea said:
I didn't see where anyone mentioned another idea for wringing clothes out-- not as efficient as a wringer, but easier and better than doing it by hand: One of those Mop wringers that fit over a bucket
http://www.restockit.com/images/product/small/EX083617.jpg I saw one at a yard sale for $10 this weekend
Awesome. Why haven't I ever thought of that before? I only handwash after a bad storm, and last time, I had generator power, so we were roughing it easy, but you really never know what will happen.