Anyone hand wash their clothes?

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's something we have been contemplating. Especially since it would be a lot of work to get the washer and dryer up and running in the new house. Aka, the old cabin we moved into. We have all of the neccessary equipment (I think :lol:) Right now family is doing them for us until we figure something out. So just wondering if anyone did the same?

And slightly off topic, but if you are really into washboards and their history, we stopped by the Washboard Factory in Logan, Ohio a few days ago to pick up a couple of washboards. They are the only (I believe) manufacturer of hand assembled washboards left in the US. And they let you tour the factory. So I got to watch several boards be assembled and look at all of the old equipment, most of it still in use. The coolest part however was the binder full of thank you notes from soldiers and their families. Apparently the company sends washboard packages to troops serving overseas with no laundry facilities. Complete with bucket sized washboards and soap. I was literally in tears in the middle of this place reading all of the stories and seeing the pics of men and women in uniform quite happily scrubbing their clothes on a washboard while squatting on the ground. Kinda puts things into perspective for ya.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Only bras LOL. And my silk. And most of my medieval garb. And anything embroidered.

I guess I need a washboard.

Dirk Chesterfield

Power Conserver
Reaction score
When I was younger I used to hand wash all my blue jeans and other outerwear in a special galvanized two compartment sink in the basement. The sink was nifty because the right side had a washboard molded into the front of the sink. It also had large counter tops on both the left and right that had a washboard surface and a 2" curb edge to keep the water off the floor.

It was great. Right side for soap and scrub; left side for rinse. It also had a bracket for a wringer but it was missing. We used an old wringer washer just for wringing.

Fill the wash sink, add soap flakes, add clothes, use a plunger to agitate for 5 minutes, soak for 20 minutes, agitate for 2 more minutes, scrub if necessary. wring clothes, rinse and then do a final wring out.

For ironing we used a Mangle.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have thought about it, especially when my washer was not getting the clothes clean and I didn't have a dryer. Then dh bought me a new set and I forgot the whole idea. I suppose that if my new set went out then I would hand wash since it would save a trip to the laundromat and a ton of money.

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would not move into a place without a washer and dryer hookup. I am trying to imagine how much time it would take to wash my clothes by hand and what it would do to my hands. Eek. I would have a plumber come and put in a hookup and buy a washer and dryer. It would be worth it in the long run for all the time that would be saved. Time is worth money, after all.

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I only have myself but I have more than one load a week- lights, darks, towels, sheets.

There is no way I would take the time to hand wash and/or line dry them. Why spend 20 minutes hanging them outside when I can toss them in the dryer in seconds? Also, what happens to you clothes if it storms or snows while you are at work? It just seems like so much work. I like convenience.
To each their own, I guess.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I love my washing machine.
That being said, I have done my share of handwashing. that includes loads of diapers. I do what I have to do. Washing by hand is hard on the hands and labor intensive. But when I did not have a machine and taking my laundry to the laundrymat was not a real option, I washed our clothing by hand and dried it outside or inside, whichever way I could.

Now I wash by machine and line dry. I do have a dryer, but I only use it when it rains for days on end and I truly need something dried asap, usually the dog's bed :rolleyes: coz I'll just wear my dirty clothes again or my underwear inside out. :p

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I don't like hand washing jeans or linens. Just big and bulky and a huge pain to get clean enough. I love line drying though, as long as there's enough breeze to keep it from being cardboard stiff.

I just happen to own a lot of clothing that I'd rather NOT put through the washer, especially a shared washer. If I had a front loader with a really good gentle cycle, I might change my mind ;) But I'd still line dry.

Latest posts