Anyone hav xperience with heart attacks?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Mom and Dad were supposed to leave for Hawaii the other day, and the day before they left, Dad was having heart palpitations. For a week prior, he had not been feeling well--really weak. Mom and Dad both attributed this to nerves from the long flight. Dad doesn't like flying, and he also smokes--which he would not be able to do on the plane. But the heart palpitations would not stop--so off to emerg they went. Needless to say they didn't go to Hawaii. The drs did bloodwork, alll the tests, and said it didn't look like a heart attack, but they couldn't find anything wrong. They had him wear a heart monitor for a day, but the results aren't in yet.

Mom and Dad still think it might have been a heart attack. Has anyone experienced or know someone who has experienced a mild heart attack? Could this have been one? He's still feling lousy, weak, but no more heart palpitations.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Sorry North....I hope you Dad is ok!
My Dh has heart issues, mainly mitral valve prolapse which causes chest pain. It can be brought on by stress for sure.
Your dads symptoms of being weak and feeling poorly would concern me, may be a sign of something more serious than stress. With his smoking I would worry about a stroke. Please update us when you get the results.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Miss_thenorth, I can only tell you my fathers experience. He had his first heart attack under the blade of a county truck. He was about 55.
The second heart attack he felt he was having when they were going out to dinner, about 5 years later.
Both of these heart attacks were odd. He showed no elevated ck's or troponins. His ekg's were normal, everything was normal.....UNTIL late the next day. My father quit smoking two days before his first cuz *he was having some chest pains*. He had triple bypass three days after the second one. He has always been very active so excersing was not ever an issue for him. He has never been overweight.
But he is OK now, that last was about 10-15 years ago.
I hope everything is ok with your dad. Your mom needs to keep an eye on him.
Sometimes radiating pain down the arm is a sign also.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
That's why this is weird. He doesn't have spcific pain--just weak and out of sorts. he gets the results hopefully on Thursday. I'll keep you posted.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
does you dad drink diet soda or the like?
cause honestly that asparatme (?) does give me heart palpatations. I went for EKG, sonagram, stress test treadmill etc. etc. and wore the heart monitor at home.

conclusion....I stopped drinking diet soda and was fine.

honestly so wierd but true. it was stress combined with that stupid chemical. stopped soda and was fine instantly...........

I know this might not be it of course, but I thought the palapations were leading to a heart attack also.

could be stress from flying definitely. it doesn't take much to send someone over the edge into physical symptoms ya know. if that stress is enough to blow the mind, then the physical follows next.

I surely hope all is well.

Tony just went to the cardiologist. He doesn't feel well and all things came back fine! yet, he is having the classic signs of heart trouble! Hmm...so much can mimic but of course, you must get all tested to be sure it is not the heart!!!!!!

hope your Dad is ok! I know how you must be feeling!

Tony's Dad has had major heart stuff and had 2 bypass and now has a defiberlator in the heart. But his were "real heart attacks" when they happened.

take care !!!!! I have your family in my prayers! Karen

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey Karen, there is about about aspertame and the damage it does! It is soooooo bad for you! Do you know if given regularly to young boys it can make them sterile, it also causes holes in the brain. Bad bad stuff.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
No, Dad doesn't drink diet pop (does drink pop though), no caffeine, He's sedentary, although I believe he walks on a regular basis. After retirement, his cholesterol jumped, so he started walking, but he really is a couch potato. He smokes about a pack a day. He eats healthy, he's not overweight. He's 70.

He has flown before--to Hawaii even--they go on winter trips every year.

I know this sounds stupid, but about a month ago, hubby and I went to their place to pick up their old sofa and chair. (recliners) Dad helped hubby move the sofa and it was really heavy and he had a hard time of it. A week later, that's when he started not feeling good. I hope it wasn't that -that made him sick. I could have been adament of my helping hubby instead of Dad helping. Not really blaming myself--but feeling I should have moved the sofa instead of him.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well while smoking, age and couch potatoe are not ideal of course, lol, then it is time for a full workup.

key being, catch anything "early!----any person does that and they are surely on a good road to recovery.

My parents are 81 and 82. They are on no pills, or anything. Perfect health. Go figure. Mom smoked til age 77 and is "more or less" sedentary and Dad works like a dog thru the full day. LOL

so it is best to just get all checked. it could be something simple......low potassium is bad for the heart definitely. it could be something like that but best let the medical professionals run all tests and see!

again, he is in my prayers for nothing wrong! :) that is the best we can hope for!!!! :)

It is super scary. I know you have that "what if" thing happening. I hope it is not anything bad and all will be fixed easily.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I hope he does well too.
You might want to have a blood screen for vitamin and mineral problems. The calcium screen will probably be part of the blood work already done by the the doc but a lot of people who are older have serious vitamin D deficiencies that are not caught. This can make a person wobbly and weak- that off feeling too.