Anyone have a homemade clothesline?

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My dh bought and put up a metal, made in China, clothesline last summer. It was great, at first, but the first time I filled it on all sides, it broke. I know we are all :ep that a chinese product was a piece of poo.

Anywho, he has promised me a clothesline made by hand. But, I would love some ideas before he begins (in several months, I'm sure) and to nudge him along little by little and not by nagging :p

TIA :)

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used a clothesline at my old house, but it was just tied to the house and a tree...I'd always imagined the free standing ones would be hard to get the line tight enough...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
There is such a thing as a store bought one? I have been seriously misinformed!!!! :somad

No, really....just kidding! :D

I don't currently have an official clothesline as I removed mine to make room for a garden. I do still have the original old clotheslines that were here under my cellar house overhang that I use quite frequently and there are long lines up in my attic for the same purpose.

I plan to put up a better and longer clothesline this summer that will be attached between two buildings.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have a 100ft clothesline that the previous owner put in, it's just a run of the mill plastic coated metal one from the hardware store but man that thing is awesome.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
At my old house I just put hooks on the fences, and stretched a line between them, over the lawn. I put a nail near the end of 2 long poles - a hook would work too - and used them to hoist the line up higher once all the laundry was hung. When everything was dry it all came down - laundry, poles, line - just the hooks remained. Of course, in California people tend to have backyard fences; I believe they are not so common in some parts of the country. Now I have a large covered deck, and have a line strung from post to post - no sun to bleach the whites (sigh) but they get dry anyway.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We had a garden fence at our old place in the suburbs, but this place our septic and well are in the back garden so we can't really have a garden fence back there lol.

Ours is strung from the corner of the laundry room to an old telephone pole 100ft away.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Yes, my hubby built me one. We have really strong winds here, so mine might be a bit of over kill, but he pounded in two 6x6 pressure treated posts into the ground, mounted (lag bolted)4x4--3 ft peices to the top to form a T, and braced those with 2x4s in a v shape for stability. I'll see if I have a pic.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
This is about the best I got.
72_img_1663.jpg

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Mine is strung between 2 trees. Goes around them both to give me 2 individual lines. I prop the expanse of lines with 2 long branch sticks.
Even in summer when the trees are leafed out my clothes dry quickly.
Its more about air movement. I'm not a big fan of the sun lightening my darks, so I've had this arrangement for many years.

Earlier in my hanging clothes outside era, I cut a couple 5" diameter black locust trees and erected posts for a clothesline from them with a cross tie to hold the line. They sprouted leaves and grew branches. Finally in august they gave up. Found that interesting.

My aunt ran a pulley wheel line from her back door to a tree about 30' away. Hung the clothes and pulled the line to move the clothes toward the tree. She wasn't an outdoorsy person and rarely stepped into the back yard. :rolleyes: