Anyone have "Cayuga" ducks? (Q-A, WifeZ, Drakemaiden or anyone!)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
...I can't log on to BYC to ask this. :/

1. What do you think of them?

2. How do the males differ from the females as far as looks go? (In most of the photos I have found, they both sorta look like each other.)

Thanks so much!

ETA: 3. can Rouen ducks and Cayugas mate with each other?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
1. What do you think of them? I think they are beautiful, and they lay a unique egg that is gray-ish to black in color

2. How do the males differ from the females as far as looks go? (In most of the photos I have found, they both sorta look like each other.)

The only difference the males will have from the femals, AFAIK, is that the males will have a feather that curls up from their tail, like most male ducks have.

3. can Rouen ducks and Cayugas mate with each other? AFAIK, yes. At least, my mom's Rouen Drake mated her Cayuga duck and made interesting babies.

FYI - BeccaOh has two female cuyagas, but I don't have any. :D Her girls are a beautiful black with like a green sheen to their feathers.

Also, as they age, they can develop white spots or go "gray" like people do.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
feathersite has good pics of the breeds. The weight difference between the breeds might be an issue. Rouens are quite a a bit larger than Cayugas.
It might work better if the drake is Cayuga, so the girl doesn't get pretty smooshed.
Or a smallish Rouen drake and a fairly big Cayuga duck.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
These are the ducks I want. They were on Craigslist a few days ago, but I haven't checked back since. We're not getting ducks this year. :hit If you get some I might be able to buy some babies from you next year. ;) It takes awhile to talk my husband into things sometimes. He thinks one breed is as good as another. I have to come up with really good, logical arguments for what I want. Soo Please Please get some, so I can add that to my argument list. :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
HA! :lol: Got ya! ;)

If you aren't able to find any others, look for ads posting "black Rouens" for sale, b/c that is how I stumbled across this cayuga hen! (And yup, I bought her thinking she was a "black Rouen"!! I'm so dumb!!:p Well, I HOPE she is a hen!! She has no curled up tail, and YES, she is as big as a house!)

Thanks you guys!

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love my Cayugas!!! They are great ducks. I have a silver drake, 2 blue hens, and 2 black hens. They free range around my yard. My husband, who doesn't care for my animals, even make them a pond. They were everyday layers but now they are sitting on their eggs. I am hoping they hatch out lots of little ones.

Here are some ducklings I hatched out this year.
135_100_4616.jpg

Here are pictures of the parents. Sorry the pictures aren't that good.
135_100_4239.jpg

135_100_4238.jpg