Anyone have "Cayuga" ducks? (Q-A, WifeZ, Drakemaiden or anyone!)

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes they are. I had over 30 of them. I sold all by 5. My hens are on tons of eggs. I will have more for sale it looks like if they hatch. They are due to hatch in a week. I just love the little ones.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I don't have them, but if (well, WHEN - probably next year) I get ducks it will almost certainly be Cayugas. I am still having seriously lingering "non buyers remorse" from ducking out of the bidding for a superb pair of them at a dispersal auction last fall.

Good Cayugas are amazing looking, with the green irridescence everywhere. The males and females are colored the same. Even the sort of "run of the mill" "backyard-quality" Cayugas I've seen are beautiful, just a whole lot less green and with maybe a few too many white feathers here and there. They seem to be fairly quiet. Ish, anyhow.

You do need to remember that they will start graying out after the first year, they will not STAY beautiful beetle-green.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I don't care what breed you get...there is something about ducks that take you over :D

There is a book out called "enslaved by ducks". I need to get that.
:gig

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I don't care what breed you get...there is something about ducks that take you over :D

There is a book out called "enslaved by ducks". I need to get that.
:gig
Agreed! :lol:

I started out with just 2 ducks - and now I've got uh - more. :gig

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I don't have them, but if (well, WHEN - probably next year) I get ducks it will almost certainly be Cayugas.
this is exactly my situation. WHEN i get around to getting set up for ducks, Cayugas are on the very top of my list. i especially love the blue ones (i'm a total sucker for blue genetics in general), but the black ones are beautiful. and have you seen the crested ones?!?! (there's a pic of one here.)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks you guys!

This one (he, she?) is beautifu, iridescent, beetle green...:fl gosh I hope she is a she for sure! (No egg from her this morning though.:/)

(She/he is also very calm and quiet.)

I now have a serious duck addiction too. :rolleyes:

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
First you get my pig, then you my duck. If a Dexter cow with calf meander into your backyard I'm moving in with you. Just sayin.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
This one (he, she?) is beautifu, iridescent, beetle green...:fl gosh I hope she is a she for sure!
If the duck is reasonably mature, you should be able to tell by the tailfeathers shouldn't you? AFAIK Cayugas work like most domestic ducks -- the males have a distinct little upward curl in their tail, like the feather tips have been in curlers, whereas the females don't.

Pat, totally not a duck owner but having admired them at poultry shows a lot :p