Anyone heard of Fresh Rinse?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry, no idea--I've never heard of it.

Just my opinion, but all veggie wash products are just hype and no one needs to eat the added chemical residue. We just wash our veggies in water, scrub any dirt off, and spin dry if it's greens (unless wilting/cooking them and need some surface moisture) and call it done. But we also don't buy bagged salads. We buy all our produce (that we don't grow) from the farmer's market.

YMMV. :)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I haven't heard of it either. There used to be a veggie rinse that you could buy, but this must be the 'new and improved' version. I just use water, too. I always thought the bagged salad mixes had a funny taste, but I will buy broccoli slaw.

It gets too hot too fast here to have much of a lettuce/greens crop. Last year I decided that it wasn't worth the effort.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Some of the veggie rinses on the market *are* just water and vinegar. I just don't see the point of paying money for the fancy packaging and marketing......

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just use a vinegar/water mix with a couple drops of sweet orange essential oil to wash my fruits and veggies.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Forget where I read this but the best veggie wash is water and a bit of baking soda to rinse off any residue. Just soak in a sinkful of water with a teaspoon of baking soda, then rinse with fresh clean water.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
YEP being the resident Chemist I'll keep it simple. Instead of using chlorine (which I know we all hate) it uses a form of Peroxide to oxidize bacteria and other nasty Microorganisms to death. I know we have heard of peroxide to clean wounds for the same reasons. When all the chemistry is done it leaves traces of vinegar and water behind. (We all know how dangerous those are, right?) It has been a standard cleaning agent in food processing plants for years. Much more effective and expensive than chlorine cleaning and that gives a hint why chlorine cleaning is still used.

moolie, your post reminds me of an anti-smoking cartoon "Does your tobacco taste different?" with a drawing of a farm worker taking a wizz in the tobacco row. ~gd

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lol ~gd!

Interesting info about the use of peroxide as well. And I'd never heard of washing veggies with either vinegar or baking soda, learn something new every day :)

clkingtx

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone, I like hearing different ways of cleaning veggies. gd, I was hoping you would reply. It sounds like a much preferable way of cleaning something to be eaten, that's for sure.