Anyone here fans of Countryside Magazine?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I wait breathlessly for each subscription to arrive...the boys know not to bother me on that evening because my nose is buried in it!

It has simply the best ideas, tips, articles on SS living. I still like Mother Earth News but it seems to have a different slant than it used to, more yuppy-ish. With CS, there is very little gloss and flash but lots of down home information. A little something for everyone in there.

Anyone else love their CS? :frow

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yep, Yep. Me too. I also enjoy Back Home, Hobby Farms, and Hobby Farms Home. Don't you just love all the information.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I have only recently been introduced to Countryside but I think it's great.

I like it MUCH better than Hobby Farms, Harrowsmith Country Living, those sorts of things. Hobby Farms seems largely pipe-dream oriented, and Harrowsmith seems largely oriented towards people with massively more income than I can relate to (or serious daydreamers). And both have WAY WAY too many ads for estate tractors, expensive custom greenhouses, and alpaca-breeding schemes :p

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yup, I buy countryside at the tractor supply store every now and then...good one.

I get agricultural review, mother earth news, and used to get small farm today and others but cancelled....heck I can read all the articles on the internet for free.

sounds good to me..HA HA

ParsonsWife

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:) Yes, I have been for several years. l really like the articles.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It sort of has the feel of the old MEN without the hippy flavor! I loved MEN back in the 70s and 80s but it has went yuppy since then, and is very informative still, but very commercialized. I love CS for the individual sections and how they specialize in a different breed of livestock in each issue.

I designed my PVC feeder off of an idea published in there....with some modifications. :D I also got it in my head to try no-till, raised bed, mulched gardening from reading the articles in CS. Right now, I have one of the better looking gardens in the area due to moisture retention and, what I feel, is the increased vermiculture living under my mulching. I learned about the hair sheep in there and it had never even occurred to me to raise a sheep. Nor to milk one!

The recipes are great and they also have an article on beekeeping in each one. Can't get any better than that. I read Backwoods Home once but it seems very small time and opinionated for my taste.

amyquilt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
coopy said:
Yep, Yep. Me too. I also enjoy Back Home, Hobby Farms, and Hobby Farms Home. Don't you just love all the information.
Yup, Yup, Yup!! Love them all along with Countryside! Starting to like Grit, too! OH and can't forget Backyard Poultry!

And the best!!! Mother Earth News!!

Better Half

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yes! I won a subscription from visiting their website and just received the 1st issue this week.