Anyone here fans of Countryside Magazine?

dzook

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have a few different mags that I subscribe to. Countryside, Grit, Mother Earth News and Backwoods Home. My absolute favorite is Backwoods Home and any article by Jackie Clay. She has an amazing blog on their website also.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
dzook said:
I have a few different mags that I subscribe to. Countryside, Grit, Mother Earth News and Backwoods Home. My absolute favorite is Backwoods Home and any article by Jackie Clay. She has an amazing blog on their website also.
I've just sent in a three year subscription to Backwoods Home, and bought the May/June Preparedness issue (I'd purchased the July/August issue and was so impressed, then I got an ad in the mail with an offer I couldn't refuse, so I signed up).

I love Countryside too, and yes, I do get the Mother Earth News, which I read while holding my nose whenever politics rears its ugly head. Backwoods Home is for the more conservative set, although all three magazines can be read and enjoyed by all.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I just received the new CS and can tell you that I will NOT be renewing my subscription! Lately, it has really dropped the ball in informative articles and the Greenhorn series is pretty discouraging to read~no real info for people who have traversed past that point. I much preferred the mini articles on different livestock, heritage breeds, and honeybees.

BUT, the main reason? The opinion piece about 2009 in which Harvey Ussery(never my favorite writer) expounded his acid opinion about President Bush's administration, called our former pres a "bonehead" with a incurious mind, a childish perception and accuses him of being incapable of speaking English!

He also refers to Christianity as a religion based on the myth of a Creator.

I do NOT pay good money to hear this kind of political~and anti-christ- drivel in a livestock journal. The closest it comes to having anything to do with livestock is the sheep-like mentality of the author in his obvious Obama worship.

Good reporting always either eliminates opinion pieces or presents an opposing view.....CS has done neither.

Not to mention the article about angora rabbits in which the extreme animal lover rhetoric abounded, with much ado about killing a rabbit and observing a moment of silence for the death, blah, blah, blah....

Rant completed! :old

Backwoods Home here I come! :rolleyes:

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
My mom brought her Countryside with her the other day...I've never looked at one...but my I was surprised at how thick it was!

I'm more of a hobby farms and hobby home girl myself and have a subscription to both.

Sorry that you were disappointed in your CS. I know you really enjoyed that mag!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Backwoods Home here I come! :rolleyes:
I know you won't be disappointed, Bee, I'm letting my Countryside subscription go, too. Backwoods home has the right perspective for me, and you'll see it's right for you, too. I hold my nose at the politics in Mother Earth News because I still find good stuff in there, but I can't say the same about CS. Not worth holding my nose over ;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That was the reason I let my MEN go also, Ann. I don't subscribe to a farming, gardening, SS mag to get political views....I abhor politics! :/

I've been looking at Backwoods Home the last couple of times I've went to the library and found some useful info in there, so I'm going to peruse further. Its a shame that the number of good SS mags are dwindling. :(

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I dropped all our subscriptions, about 5 years ago, since the local libraries carry all the ones were were purchasing.

I don't mind Countryside on the web - you don't get all the stories, but the ones they post on their site are more relevent to a Livestock Journal or Homesteading magazine concept.

I love Backwoods Home! Definitely a better magazine, imo

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I will definitely write to them and explain why I'm dropping my subscriptions....I buy it for my mother and my niece. We would all prefer to not continue to receive it now.

My mother can't get to the library, so I like to get something of interest delivered for her reading pleasure. She seems to look forward to it. I think she will enjoy Backwoods Home!