anyone here soak their flour before baking?

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am getting ready to mill some flour but my nourishing traditions book has got me thinking that instead of just milling and baking tonight that I ought to soak the flour in buttermilk (or like) for 12-24 hours....I like this idea,(and their reasoning) wondering if I can just convert any recipie I have,by soaking what ever flour in what ever liquid the bread calls for or does the liquid need to be buttermilkr in order to work

for example will water soaking (and coffee, or beer soaking for my rye bread) and other unusual things do well for my flour? and breaking down the phyto somethings...or does it need the bacteria present in the buttermilk?

thanksomuch

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Lots of us do, everyone must be busy, so I'll give this a bump for you and also tell you what I do.

I convert recipes that lend themselves easily to it....for example, pie crust. I make it up the day before, replace a Tbsp or two of the water with whey (buttermilk, yogurt, kefir would all work, too), wrap it up tightly and leave it on the counter overnight or for 24 hours. Pasta works great this way, too.

I have a bread recipe I am using that I kinda like (it's not perfect, but pretty good considering) and there is a thread somewhere if you need help finding it. I also thing the artisan bread recipe from MEN really lends itself to the NT method without going full-blown sourdough....which several people here do, too.

Cookies do well, sometimes there is a slight texture change but using lard helps keep them tender.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I haven't done much with soaking flour (unless I'm using sourdough), but I do try to keep a supply of soaked (and sometimes sprouted) grains on hand. I soak/sprout them as usual, and then dry them at low heat in in the dehydrator. And then they are all set for when I am ready to grind them. (Don't know if it is necessary, but I keep them in the 'fridge after saoking/drying.)

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK guys - I'm confused. I've never even heard of soaking flour. Why would you want to do this? And how do you do it? Please speak slowly 'cause I'm a male of the species and sometimes I get thick-headed. <big grin>

okiegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Boogity said:
OK guys - I'm confused. I've never even heard of soaking flour. Why would you want to do this? And how do you do it? Please speak slowly 'cause I'm a male of the species and sometimes I get thick-headed. <big grin>
:lol: :gig

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
B e c a u s e o f p h y t a t e s.

Just kidding lol, was speaking slow :p

Antinutrient called phytates, they block absorption of necessary nutrients from your flour. So you soak them to neutralize ("unlock") them.

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ok soakers...

I have only soaked and made pancakes so far, and sort of hit a wall,
because my whole wheat recipes call for

vital wheat gluten
I really don't want to go buy another ingredient if I can avoid it
the wheat I use is winter hard, or something which I think has more gluten anyhow?

my question

does soaking make it rise better?
so then I could avoid vwg?

can I just use my white flour bread recipe and when using the bread machine bake at the whole grain setting?

or must I do the whole wheat soaked bread in the oven because it takes so much longer to bake

any favorite easy recipes you can share?

I realize I am going to need to experiment, just hoping some wisdom will help me save some time;)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Phytates are also irritating to the digestive tract whether you are aware of it or not. Some of us are very aware! It can be mistaken for gluten intolerance sometimes.

I don't have a bread machine so can't really answer that. It is so cheap to do, give it a try! I find that the 100% ww bread is more crumbly and doesn't keep as long, should be used up pretty quickly or frozen, and should be stored in the fridge. It is best toasted or used as french toast or grilled cheese sandwiches, as the cheese holds it together better.

I've heard that adding the gluten helps with the crumbly texture, or you could use half white and half ww flour.

I don't use the gluten as I don't want yet another ingredient that I don't know how it is made, and it was contaminated gluten that caused the petfood recall fiasco a few years ago. The more control I have of my food, the better.

We don't eat many sandwiches, so some good storebought bread fills that gap for us. Yes, I just contradicted myself regarding control of my food....but ya gotta give here and there!

I like the results of the method on my bread thread, will find the link for you. It takes some planning, and with a stand mixer it really is not as much work as it looks like on paper. http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6963