Anyone know about rice?

Big_White

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have been wondering what all it would take and if it would be possible to grow my own rice. I live in Alabama, zone 7b. If anyone has any knowledge it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I had hoped to plant some rice last year, but never got it ordered, but this year, I will be.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of making a bit of a pond.....above ground, so I can control the water level and see if I can get a paddy going. Very deep south for me. Just thinking about doing it for experimenting. If I could control water levels, I have a couple of ponds.

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I haven't grown any myself, but from what I have read it's really easy. Some of the things I've read said you can buy it from a supplier or even get brown rice from the store (white is processed, so won't work) and basically trow it in about 4" of soil cover with water (I forget how deep) and let it go. Doesn't really need any care other than making sure the water level stay sufficient. I was a little discourage though because some of what I read said to make it worth it for eating you'd need to grow A LOT! and that most people grow it for ornamental purposes around a pond. I don't have the space for a lot of anything. But, maybe someone here with more experience will weigh in on that and maybe next year I'll be growing rice too!! No room for it this year.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well I placed an order for seeds I didn't have a few days ago and I bought 3LBs of rice. I'll do something real small and save the majority of the seeds for when I'm an expert. Lol.