anyone know of plans to make rubberband-powered toy airplanes?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I was talking with DH about this a couple hours ago, and got to thinking. I can't find the old style balsa wood airplane kits anywhere, you know, the cheapie ones that you wind the propeller up by hand and it twists a rubberband and then you launch it and it either lands on the neighbor's garage roof or crashes into a tree and shatters into pieces?

I suppose they may still exist but frankly they never lasted that long for me anyhow... but surely it must be possible to MAKE one, perhaps with wings cut from scrap plastic for durability? The propeller would be the trickiest part I think, might be easiest to cannibalize one from a storeboughten balsa wood kit... if I could find one...

So, do any of y'all, by any chance, happen to know of plans for *building* one of those wind-up airplanes? And/or a source for the old style balsa wood ones?

I know it's not earthshaking and not going to save anybody when the zombie horde comes knocking, but, the kids *really* like airplanes... :p

Thanks for any leads,

Pat

Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I was talking with DH about this a couple hours ago, and got to thinking. I can't find the old style balsa wood airplane kits anywhere, you know, the cheapie ones that you wind the propeller up by hand and it twists a rubberband and then you launch it and it either lands on the neighbor's garage roof or crashes into a tree and shatters into pieces?

I suppose they may still exist but frankly they never lasted that long for me anyhow... but surely it must be possible to MAKE one, perhaps with wings cut from scrap plastic for durability? The propeller would be the trickiest part I think, might be easiest to cannibalize one from a storeboughten balsa wood kit... if I could find one...

So, do any of y'all, by any chance, happen to know of plans for *building* one of those wind-up airplanes? And/or a source for the old style balsa wood ones?

I know it's not earthshaking and not going to save anybody when the zombie horde comes knocking, but, the kids *really* like airplanes... :p

Thanks for any leads,

Pat
I've seen them at hobby shops here in Denver. The little cheapies that were a blast to build and cost 1.49, are now 9.99. U-control just isn't too popular any more.

Are you talking about the 4 piece jobbers with the flat balsa body that had some ink work on it and a wing and rudder that slid through and you used a u shaped weight to adjust the flight? Or are you talking about the ones that were 3 dimensional with bulkheads and ribs in the wings and spars and stringers and took about 10 hours to build but were really cheap?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
Are you talking about the 4 piece jobbers with the flat balsa body that had some ink work on it and a wing and rudder that slid through and you used a u shaped weight to adjust the flight? Or are you talking about the ones that were 3 dimensional with bulkheads and ribs in the wings and spars and stringers and took about 10 hours to build but were really cheap?
The former. I've never seen the latter, I probably would've enjoyed them when I was 14 :p

Really I'm looking for anything of the rubberband-propelled genre that I can kludge together for my 5 year old and it will last more than a few flights <g>

That link is interesting, noobiechickenlady, I will check into it more when I can set the computer to spend a few hours downloading. (Darn dialup).

Pat

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hmmm, my son used to love those before he got distracted by girls. My dad seemed to have a never ending supply of them for him, but I think he just bought them from the grocery store? I'm pretty sure I've seen them in the section with the little crappy toys.

Next time I go I will have to look and see if they still have them.

krazeepolack

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Not even sure if you can FIND those kits anymore. Not that I'll admit to my birthdate, but we paid 10 cents for those kits, :ep & by golly, they did fly!! :bow I've been in a few hobby shops over the years, & I just don't recall* seeing them anywhere.

* At my age, I don't recall a lot of things!! :barnie :old

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I used to have a whole collection of those planes when I was a kid! I loved them. And, they weren't too expensive. (Don't want to admit my age by saying how much they cost. :old) But, I don't think I've seen one in the store for years.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Since this thread has been revived I will comment that I actually DID find the windup-rubberband balsa wood airplanes at, of all places, either Joanne's or Michaels (the giant craft store chains - I forget which it was). They were still only a buck or two apiece IIRC

They are even flimsier than I recall as a kid, eitther that or the ground is harder :p, but I bought a dozen last year and have been saving the pieces so that when we run out of kit ones I can hopefully find some sheet balsawood from a craft or model store and remake our own, with the propeller etc from the kit.

Pat