Anyone make or use shampoo bars?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you make shampoo bars and like 'em, what recipe do you use?

I made my first batch a couple weeks ago. They're still curing, but I can't wait to try one. I had been using borax water or baking soda, but went back to purchased shampoo. I'd rather keep the plastic out of the waste/recycle stream, but hey - I miss the lather.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not a shampoo bar but I've switched to diluted castille soap for shampoo and diluted vinegar for conditioner in the last 2 months.

Has it been easy? Heck no...where's the lather and squeeky "clean" noise I'm used to hearing? :lol:

BUT...my long hair appears to be handling it much better, even though it feels "weird" to me after using the store bought stuff for 47 years.

No later with the diluted castille was the major freak-out, rinsing with the ACV diluted (citrus peel soaked) didn't seem to help but I'm noticing a major difference now that I'm getting used to it.

First time using the castille, my hair (to me) felt oilier than when I washed it but once it dried...oh my! :D

I'm going to try your recipe in the new year and gift it to my sister. She did homemade laundry and dishwasher soap before I got ti it, I owe her one after her giving me odd looks for no longer using "normal" shampoo and conditioner! :gig

Steveca

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I've been wanting to make soap for so long it isn't funny. This week I finally took the plunge and ordered supplies... Guess what everybody's getting for xmas this year. :) I've been using this soap/lye calculator to fine tune my first recipe to the characteristics I want : http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp

So far this is what I have tuned it to:

Canola 30%
Coconut oil 29%
Castor oil 7%
Almond oil (sweet) 5%
Olive Oil 20%
Lard 9%

I hope my stuff comes before the weekend.

I've used some homemade type bar soap from the community whole foods store and liked how much it lathered but if I recall, I think it made my hair smell a bit greasy.

From what I've gathered, Coconut oil for cleansing and Castor oil for sudsing but you don't need much castor oil, maximum 15 - 20% for a shaving bar.

This site has a lot of good info on what the different oils do in a soap and what percentages to use for different qualities. http://www.soap-making-essentials.com/

dirtyfeetmaggoo

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I make my own shampoo bars with a tallow, olive oil and coconut oil recipe and it seems to work really well. I have the recipe on my blog alittlebitofhomestead.blogspot.com they smell like cinnamon mostly but I was trying to copycat a company I like called lush I used to buy their shampoo bars all the time until I learned how to make soap and started experimenting with the recipes. I think its funny some people on here looking for wood boxes for their soap and I'm just sitting here like...I made mine in a pringles can :lol:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Hmmm that is interesting. I haven't heard of such....

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is the recipe I used:

Basic Shampoo Bar Recipe
4 ounces castor oil
2 ounces jojoba oil
4 ounces sunflower oil

3 ounces palm oil
1 ounce cocoa butter
8 ounces coconut oil

8 ounces distilled water
3 ounces lye

Except I didn't use sunflower oil. I think it smells like dirt and sure made my hand lotion smell like dirt. :sick

Anyway, I read that it's the jojoba oil that makes it a shampoo bar rather than just regular ol' soap.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use JR Liggett's Old-Fashioned Shampoo Bar. Since making the switch I no longer need conditioner.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol:
I'm glad you told me about your experience w/ castile soap. I have a bar of that in the shower and tried it on my hair one time. I didn't even make it out of the shower before I was using the regular shampoo again. It just felt really weird!!:lol:

But!! I read that it takes about two weeks for your hair to make an adjustment to some of the 'natural' stuff we try. I also heard that it's a love/hate relationship with shampoo bars, you either love 'em or you hate 'em.

After reading how to make liquid castile soap, I decided that it was more than what I wanted to mess with. So I plopped a castile bar into a kitchen sink with hot water and washed some dishes that way. Everything was squeaky clean! And as usual, no lather. I could get used to it, but if DH saw what the dishwater looked like (no suds), he'd start buying paper plates.

Funny, the things that bug you, huh. :lol:

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I've made shampoo bars for about 3 years now--olive, castor, coconut and palm kernel oil. I love them. They dissolve too quickly, though, so I want to test adding beeswax to them.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sunflower oil, you have to get refined. I've used refined and unrefined and there's a huge difference. Lotions, it definitely reeks like sunflower seeds and you have to use a very strong scent to cover that stench up. Otherwise, squirrels (and others) might mistake you for a nut. ;) As for lather, depending on what you want in the final product, you can use SLSa or another GENTLE surfactant. Stay clear of SLS, which is in every darned shampoo out there. The SLSa and there is another one that has SLSa and another one combined (but cannot remember what it's called) are both gentle surfactants that can be used for shampoos or bubble baths. I haven't attempted it yet though, because my hair is so picky that it honestly isn't worth dealing with.