Anyone sell stuff on eBay?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What about listing on Craigs List? It is pretty easy. I don't do much on E-Bay.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I reckon I could but I kinda like eBay.

Ok so here is what kind of just fell into my lap.

My son needed a timing belt idler pulley for a very expensive car he is repairing and the pulleys are freaking expensive. So I said I would look around for him.

I looked a few places and yep like $170.00 is the cheapest I could initallin find for the pulley he needed.

But then I found them brand new with lifetime mfg warranty on website "A" for $10.10 including free shipping (yes $10.10) So I ordered 5 of them (I should have ordered 10 because my son gave me $100.00 to find a used pulley for him.) Figuring I would just sell the other 4 for like $150.10 and still be cheaper than anyone else.

Website "A" must have figured this out because the price for the same pulley jumped to $170.00 each right after I ordered 5 of them. But I got them for $10.10 each with free delivery :)

So here I am sitting on 4 pulleys that I paid $40.10 for that are worth $680.00 that is if I would sell them for full retail. I'm not "that" greedy so I'll sell them for $150.10 each and laugh all the bay to the bank!

This same kind of thing happens frequently to me that's why my son has me search for car parts for him. I seem to always find a deal, sometimes better than others though. This one is like one of the best yet!

Last edited:

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
First: high-five on the awesome deal!!

It's been awhile since I've sold on eBay. I used to do a fair bit there.

My recommendations are probably pretty obvious but I'll put them out there anyway.

Usually there's multiple categories that seem to be good fits for the item. Try to find if there are other parts of the same or similar and see what category they were listed in.

Take clear photos. Look up and include the specifications that were listed in the write ups for the part on other retail websites. Double check your spelling and numbers.

I like to charge a little more and offer free 3 day shipping. For a car part though, youymight let them pay for overnight in case they need it in a hurry. I always tried to clear 50% of retail price but that was just my personal rule of thumb.

I would recommend offering as buy it now, especially for something like a car part which probably won't generate a bidding war. You can also try a higher price but use the "Make an offer" feature. Luckily, you have several so you can sell one and use what you learn to try and make the remaining sales better.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
First: high-five on the awesome deal!!

It's been awhile since I've sold on eBay. I used to do a fair bit there.

My recommendations are probably pretty obvious but I'll put them out there anyway.

Usually there's multiple categories that seem to be good fits for the item. Try to find if there are other parts of the same or similar and see what category they were listed in.

Take clear photos. Look up and include the specifications that were listed in the write ups for the part on other retail websites. Double check your spelling and numbers.

I like to charge a little more and offer free 3 day shipping. For a car part though, youymight let them pay for overnight in case they need it in a hurry. I always tried to clear 50% of retail price but that was just my personal rule of thumb.

I would recommend offering as buy it now, especially for something like a car part which probably won't generate a bidding war. You can also try a higher price but use the "Make an offer" feature. Luckily, you have several so you can sell one and use what you learn to try and make the remaining sales better.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Aewsome advise thank you!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am trying to sell on FB. I tried ebay once....didn't sell, and I paid for the listing. :he

Craigslist- some strange scary people reside in there. :hide

Latest posts