Anyone use hay bags?

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was looking for alternatives for our hay mangers. The goats keep knocking them down and destroying them while managing to also waste lots of hay. I was searching through old threads and saw a couple people mention hay bags for horses. Just wondering if anyone used these for goats? Or think that they would or wouldn't work for goats?

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'd be careful with haybags. We used to tie them up high and tie the long string to the bottom so they couldn't get their legs wrapped up in it. They're pretty dangerous if not kept off the ground.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I actually feed round bales, but when I do lock the horses in, I don't use regular hay nets. If you google search small mesh hay bags you will find lots of options. The holes are too small for feet to get caught in and much less dangerous because they aren't likely to be tangled if the animal paws at it. I made mine out of a length of ice hockey net- sturdy, NOTHING falls out of it except dust and it keeps the horses busy lipping the hay out of the tiny holes. I have also made some net bags out of bird netting left over from putting over the hen house/run. They aren't as sturdy- the horses can rip the nylon if they really chew on them. But they work just as well. I even made a huge hay net out of the bird netting to put over the round bale to reduce waste, but it is a pain to keep repairing.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I had a big scare when one of my first goat rescues got badly tangled in a hay net and strangled her leg. She was ok, but it could have been disastrous. No more hay nets here.

I use home made hay bags with small goat-sized openings when I have very fine 3rd cut hay, and small one-flake sized feeders made with 2x4 fencing on a frame or a cookie sheet bungeed to the fence for outdoor nice weather feeding. One per goat. Pics on byh somewhere.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I had a big scare when one of my first goat rescues got badly tangled in a hay net and strangled her leg. She was ok, but it could have been disastrous. No more hay nets here.

I use home made hay bags with small goat-sized openings when I have very fine 3rd cut hay, and small one-flake sized feeders made with 2x4 fencing on a frame or a cookie sheet bungeed to the fence for outdoor nice weather feeding. One per goat. Pics on byh somewhere.
Found it!
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3755&p=1

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I use a small-holed hay net and love it. I plan on buying more the next time I go to the MD Horse Expo. I happened to pick one up last year for $5 and wish I'd bought at least 2 more. Knock on wood, I've never had an animal get hung up in it.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bought a hay bag to try and so far its working great! We've been checking on them frequently to be sure everything is going well and so far so good. Thanks guys for all the info!