Anyone use or have used a treadle powdered sewing machine??

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyne have a treadle power sewing machine?? I have come across 2 of them in my travels and really want to pick them up. Before I do I would like to get some pros and cons.

The first one I came across is complete but 4 draws are loose on the side. Middle draw doesn't come out to well. The machanics work fine. 75.00
The second one I know of is missing belt, draws and the frame is in solid condition. 35.00

Are they reliable?
Do they break easy?
Are they used for basic sewing?

Please lmk and thank you

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just wondering, do you mean a treadle sewing machine? I loved mine. It was made in 1902 I think and worked all the way till the tornado got it. Only problem I had was with belts breaking or getting loose.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes treadle power. That is it. :) Not to familiar with them yet. Thank you

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bought a Singer treadle last yr (?), made in I believe 1898? Anyway, it is missing one small piece, but I can't sew w/o it, and I have to go see my machine guy here to track it down for me. Belts run around $9, and are pretty easy to track down. My 'Gramma' (actually, she was a babysitter, but anyway...) taught me to sew on a treadle. I have always wanted one of my own, found this one for $25, so I bought it. It will cost me about $50 to get it in 'perfect' condition, but I think it's worth it. I have only done simple sewing with a treadle, I don't know if they can do anything else? Mine is in great shape, turns smoother than my 'new' machine, and as for reliability - it's over a hundred years old and everything on it glides like glass. Less parts, simple design, easy to fix (if you can track down the parts), and, up until the 90's (I believe), Singer would supply some parts and the copy of the original 'manual' for any machine they ever made. Not sure if they do that any more though. Hope this helps.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I found a Singer treadle last year, and found several sites that I have bookmarked.

This one had a downloadable manual for my machine, and other info. as well: http://www.a1sewingmachine.com/

This one has parts, manuals and other things: http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland.com/store/page19.html

And this one will help you I.D. the machine you have, if you aren't quite sure: http://www.sandman-collectibles.com/id-singer-machines.htm

Have fun with your "new" old machine. I haven't done much beyond straight seams with mine yet, but really like that it is always there ready if I have something small to sew - not like the electric one, which needs to pulled out of its corner, plugged in, foot pedal attached, etc.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just wanted to add that I learned to sew on my mother's old Singer - electric but still, from the '40's I would guess. It only went forwards and backwards, and that is all that I ever needed for my sewing - and I used to make some pretty fancy stuff. My treadle doesn't go backwards, but that isn't a problem - I just turn the fabric around.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I have an old treadle machine in my basement. One of these days, I'll get it out and get it going. I had one semester of sewing when I was in school. They were one short of electric machines but had an old treadle. I offered to use that one and enjoyed it.

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
I bought an old Franklin (Sears and Roebuck) Treadle in 1979 at a flea market for $65.00 it is 100+ yrs. old, still have it and it works perfectly. My DD uses it to make Mohair teddy bears. It sews the thick fur better than a modern machine.

We need one part, the throat plate was lost in a move. If anyone knows of a plce to get part I would appreciate letting me know.

The Lehmans catalogue has an oak Amish made one for more than $1,000.00, so $75.00 is a good price. You can do some fix up yourself but a working machine is worth getting restored. IMO