Anyone used this seed company?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Henrietta23 said:
I got their catalog the other day but I've never ordered from them. I ordered from John Scheepers Kitchen Garden Seeds last year and this year I went with Baker Creek. Just ordered last night in fact. I got a tomato collection from Kitchen Garden though.
Our local food co-op carries some Seeds of Change. I will look for the onions there for you. :D
Henrietta, I may need to find a different variety. I found a note that those onions do not store well.
I know we did well in MN with Stuttgarter onions.
Oh, okay. :D I'll probably be there tomorrow and can at least let you know if they do have them if you want to try a few. No big deal.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I remembered reading about the Wethersfield Red Onion recently.....Baker's Creek recently bought the Comstock, Ferre & Co seed company in Wethersfield, CT. This is the store I meant in my post above. Their website isn't up yet, but this is from the press release I found online for a local CT newspaper: "As always, Comstock, Ferre will offer its traditional brand of heirloom garden seeds through in-store sales, and will soon offer catalogs and online ordering. The store will also offer the Baker Creek brand of heirloom seeds, which is firmly established as one of the most trusted suppliers of open-pollinated, pure and natural, non-GMO seeds. The company intends to build on that reputation in concert with the Comstock, Ferre & Co. tradition. Another goal is to investigate the feasibility of re-establishing the Wethersfield Red Onion as a major variety, as well as working with local suppliers to offer seeds, gifts, plants, natural products, handmade arts and crafts, and food items."

So it looks good that they have it.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I remembered reading about the Wethersfield Red Onion recently.....Baker's Creek recently bought the Comstock, Ferre & Co seed company in Wethersfield, CT. This is the store I meant in my post above. Their website isn't up yet, but this is from the press release I found online for a local CT newspaper: "As always, Comstock, Ferre will offer its traditional brand of heirloom garden seeds through in-store sales, and will soon offer catalogs and online ordering. The store will also offer the Baker Creek brand of heirloom seeds, which is firmly established as one of the most trusted suppliers of open-pollinated, pure and natural, non-GMO seeds. The company intends to build on that reputation in concert with the Comstock, Ferre & Co. tradition. Another goal is to investigate the feasibility of re-establishing the Wethersfield Red Onion as a major variety, as well as working with local suppliers to offer seeds, gifts, plants, natural products, handmade arts and crafts, and food items."

So it looks good that they have it.
FYI, I called them Tuesday and the Wethersfield store is open and has seeds in stock. As posted in my own journal I ordered rather than driving out since shipping was ridiculously reasonable and I was feeling selfish about my day off today! Call for hours though if you plan to go Free. The woman I talked to was a little vague about times and seemed to imply they weren't open on weekends!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I already ran in there once and bought two packets of seeds almost a month ago, after a faculty inservice on a Friday! I just wanted to take a quick peek at it and was in a hurry, but it was less than ten minutes from the school. Closed on Saturdays, I think, which is when I teach. But we have another meeting next Friday, so I hope to pick up a couple more packets! I'll try to remember to check for the Wethersfield onions, BBrooks, if you will remind me...if you think of it.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I already ran in there once and bought two packets of seeds almost a month ago, after a faculty inservice on a Friday! I just wanted to take a quick peek at it and was in a hurry, but it was less than ten minutes from the school. Closed on Saturdays, I think, which is when I teach. But we have another meeting next Friday, so I hope to pick up a couple more packets! I'll try to remember to check for the Wethersfield onions, BBrooks, if you will remind me...if you think of it.
We are going to go with the Stuttgarter :)
Space is precious here, and everything we grow, except for lettuce, needs to store well.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Just in case.....I dug out my Comstock catalog and they have the Wethersfield Red for $3 for a packet of 300 seeds. They also have the White Stuttgart for $2.50 for 300, along with a few other heirloom varieties.