Anyone want free milkweed seeds?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone wants any common milkweed seeds. They're the only source of feed for monarch butterfly caterpillars (well, milkweed in general). I collected a ton of fluff for a project, and have the "by-product" of hundreds of seeds. If you'd like any, please PM me, I'll send you my address, then send a self addressed, stamped envelope and I'll get them out to you.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
"Habitats include moist to dry black soil prairies, sand prairies, sand dunes along lake shores, thickets, woodland borders, fields and pastures, abandoned fields, vacant lots, fence rows, and areas along railroads and roadsides. This plant is a colonizer of disturbed areas in both natural and developed habitats."

More information can be found here: http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/weeds/plants/cm_milkweed.htm

You just need to be careful that it doesn't take over. It's really not difficult, you can harvest the fluff and seeds BEFORE they open. If you want seeds, wait until you see a pod split down the side (but not completely open), then harvest all of the pods. This actually makes it easier to pull seeds anyways. You may have to age the fluff though.

As for my project, I haven't even really started it yet, lol. I have to bring my sewing machine and edger up. Plus, I'm hoping to bag a turkey this year to pull the chest/belly feathers. If I can do that, then I'll be mixing turkey feathers and this fluff for a pillow. If I cannot, I may try a cattail/milkweed mix for a pillow. I've also read about mixing it with wool to spin.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I live by Lake Erie where we get quite a bit of rain and milkweed thrives to the point of being a pest. We don't get as much as, say, Seattle but it is significant.
I use the dried pods for fake poinsettia arrangements for the holidays.
I use the silky fluff on my Christmas tree as fake angelhair.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The silky fluff makes a beautiful background for a pressed leaf and flower arrangement in a frame. You can make fake butterflies for your arrangement with a couple of spotted jewelweed blossoms. I was accused of killing butterflies for my pictures and cards some years ago by a young woman, and I could NOT convince her that they were flowers, and the antennae were snips of black horsehair. :lol:

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
The silky fluff makes a beautiful background for a pressed leaf and flower arrangement in a frame. You can make fake butterflies for your arrangement with a couple of spotted jewelweed blossoms. I was accused of killing butterflies for my pictures and cards some years ago by a young woman, and I could NOT convince her that they were flowers, and the antennae were snips of black horsehair. :lol:
Ohh, do you have pictures? Please share them if you do!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
No, sorry, these were made a long time ago and this type of project has a shelf life....it fades, even if kept out of direct sunlight. You'll have to trust me on this one! ;)

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I still have seeds left. For anyone who has sent for them, please place them in the freezer for a month. I had them on the porch to freeze, but I don't think it was long enough with the warm days. Thanks to everyone who sent seeds and along with their envelopes! That is warmly appreciated! Good luck with your seeds everyone!!!