Aple cider vinegar

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Tried some of the Braggs. Like it in a glass of water. Can't stand to drink straight water so that helps me from cracking the top on another can or bottle sometimes. Heard about using it to treat the runs. Anyone know what the method for that is? I did pick up a gallon at one of the local natural food stores for $5.00. The kid behind the counter said it needed to be refrigerated. Is this true? I am assuming this ACV they have made there. They had commercially bottled white vinegar in the cooler also. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've never refrigerated Braggs so I don't know why you would need to do that. :idunno

As for "the runs" I don't use it for that. Clear liquids for 48 hours will help more than anything else and then full liquids for the next 24 hours should about clear up "the runs". If it does NOT, better go see your local doctor... :old
All the best
//BT//
Trim sends

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't refrigerate ACV either. I have my own brewing in a warm spot now and wasn't planning on storing it in the frig.

I haven't heard anything about using it for loose poo's. What helps with the 'goose poops' is a spoonful of cornstarch mixed with maybe a half cup of cold water. Stir it up, hold your nose so you don't taste it and drink it down. Follow with some more water to get the taste out of your mouth.

If you do that after each time you have loose poo's, you should notice a difference within hours. This is what my mother had us do when I was growing up before Kaopectate or Imodium.

I am trying the ACV to see if it will help control my blood pressure.

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Marianne said:
I have my own brewing in a warm spot now and wasn't planning on storing it in the frig.
Marianne, I've always bought ACV and for some reason it never occurred to me to think about making my own. Can you share how its done?

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do you all think ACV would be ok to take for someone who has been dx'd with an ulcer and acid reflux? She takes several scripts that reduce stomach acid--too many--but still occasionally gets devastating pain in upper stomach. Doctors can't find anything else to treat.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
HEChicken said:
Marianne, I've always bought ACV and for some reason it never occurred to me to think about making my own. Can you share how its done?
I'm pretty sure there are several threads here on how to make ACV. Try a search. There's not much to it - it just takes time for the apple juice to turn to vinegar.

I made two gallons last fall and I have been taking it each day with some honey in warm water and I don't see anything that it's doing either for me or to me.

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Do you all think ACV would be ok to take for someone who has been dx'd with an ulcer and acid reflux? She takes several scripts that reduce stomach acid--too many--but still occasionally gets devastating pain in upper stomach. Doctors can't find anything else to treat.
When I had heartburn during pregnancy my midwife recommended papaya enzyme tablets and said if that didn't work to try sipping a little ACV in warm water before each meal. A little honey in it can help the taste if it's hard to get down. The papaya tablets worked GREAT for my heartburn so I didn't need to use ACV, but would have if it hadn't worked.

Hydrochloric acid is something to check into as well. Often times heartburn and acid reflux can be a symptom of NOT ENOUGH stomach acid. Antacids actaully make it worse - vicious cycle. You NEED stomach acid to digest the food. If there isn't enough acid, the food can back up. American Health makes a product called Gestazyme. It has enzymes (papaya and pineapple as well as a few others), and hydrochloric acid that I've heard of being very helpful. This is the same brand that makes the papaya enzyme that we use.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks, Our7Wonders. I will check out that supplement. It does seem she takes way too many antacids. The occurrance of pain doesn't follow a pattern I can find yet. She had pizza with jalopenos the other night...no problems. Ham, green beans and mashed potatoes for lunch yesterday...big pain, lasted all day. (My 85 year old mother, btw.)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here's what I had bookmarked for making ACV:
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4277&p=1

I had a bleeding ulcer years ago, and my belly is rather touchy. I can handle about a teaspoon of AVC in half a cup of water at a time, but that's about it. I have maple syrup and baking soda mixed (actually cooked for 5 minutes, then stored in a little jar) that I have used a couple times for acid stomach. I didn't have much luck with the papaya, but it worked well for my daughter.

Does your mother take an over the counter acid reducer every day? I had to do that for a long time.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Here's what I had bookmarked for making ACV:
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4277&p=1

I had a bleeding ulcer years ago, and my belly is rather touchy. I can handle about a teaspoon of AVC in half a cup of water at a time, but that's about it. I have maple syrup and baking soda mixed (actually cooked for 5 minutes, then stored in a little jar) that I have used a couple times for acid stomach. I didn't have much luck with the papaya, but it worked well for my daughter.

Does your mother take an over the counter acid reducer every day? I had to do that for a long time.
Yes, she takes two scripts, prilosec and nexium, I think, and the nurse has started giving her something like Kaopectate 4 X daily, and she bought some ranitadine today. I talked to her about getting too many antacids, but she has a difficult time with the concept. (not easy for anyone to understand!) Do you use real maple syrup, and did that mixture help?

Latest posts