Apple Butter

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does any one have a great apple butter recipe that you would like to share ,
I cook mine in a copper kettle over a slow fire , the kettle will then double to make some kettle corn.

Fixit

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The one I use is in Putting Food By . I gave it to someone in Rebel Canners MEWE earlier this week . Will look it back up for you later today.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Depends on apples but when I use sugar, it's the brown variety. Better flavor. I like a little cinnamon and just a touch of cloves. Cook it down to thick.

Serving some homemade applesauce today with a meal of meatloaf, succotash and baked potatoes. Actually forgot about having so many jars put up. Will use more often.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use my peeler/slicer/corer to prep the apples. Then toss them in my 6 quart pan to within an inch of the top. Splash of lemon juice, about a tablespoon to help start the cooking. Then I just cook it down. I add half a cup of sugar after it starts to thicken some if I want it sweeter. Then finish cooking down. I sometimes toss in cinnamon near the end to taste.

So no real recipe.

My Great Aunt has some boxes of old fashioned golden delicious and red delicious waiting for me when I get down there. So I'll be making some again this year. Chickens will probably get their share of apples as well.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i made peach butter once and decided that i liked the peaches better canned at the sauce stage and not cooked down so much. since i do like easy and quick better than waiting a long time i never got to apple butter itself, we made a lot of apple sauce instead.

my guess at an apple butter recipe would be make apple sauce, cook it down then add a bit more sugar and spices, take your time and don't burn it.