Apple Pie filing - question on canning/sealing

ChaneyLakegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My first time canning apple pie filing. I'm concerned that when I pulled the jars out of the canner, the syrup came bubbling out of all but 2 jars from under the screw band. I wiped the rims 1st & checked for chips/cracks,so I don't think its that. All of them seem to have pinged and the dimple is gone. I'm thinking I should reprocess, but since I did 2 batches and it happened on both, I'm thinking it will just happen again.

I processed 20 min in water bath as directed in the recipe.

Thank you in advance.

S

sunsaver

If you put hot filling into hot jars, and leave 1/2 inch headroom, you should not get any product coming out: unless the lids or jars are defective. Im not a canning expert, so not sure what is causing your problem.
On a different topic, there is a Chaney Lake near my neck of the woods in north Louisiana, so your user name caught my eye.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ditto sunsaver, sounds like not enough head space was left.

If they've all pinged and you can lift the jars gently by the edges of the lids without the bands on, you're golden. Just leave a little more space next year :)

ChaneyLakegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Headspace - I'll have to watch that. They have pinged - so even if there is syrup between the lid & the jar they should still be ok?

I had a mix of old jars/new jars, so I'll rule out the jars.

Just don't want to get anyone sick nor toss out these jars of apple pie filling.

Next batch I'll watch a bit more closely. I've got 140 lbs of apples. Lots to do. Older couple down the road sells them for $5/20lbs. Until my trees do a bit more I'll be getting some from them.

Sunsaver - "my" Chaney Lake is in Michigan's UP. I knew there was one in KY, but I did not know there was one in LA. Good to know. :)

Thanks for the help folks!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Make sure you're tightening the rings enougn (but not too much). And take the top off the canner for a 5 minutes after you've boiled the jars for the recommended time period (with the cover on). I don't know why, but it's recommended in a lot of recipes I've read. Maybe it lets the bath cool a bit and relives any minor pressure buildup... or something.