Apples , Apples , and more Apples

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well as fall approaches us in zone 7 , its time to get ready to make : Apple Butter ( in the copper kettle ) Fresh pressed Apple Cider , Spiced Apple rings , Apple Pies , what do you do with your bountiful fall harvest ??

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My apple tree produces apples that are only good for eating fresh, dehydrated slices, applesauce or apple butter. So those are what I make. I suppose they would be fine for cider but I've never had so much extra that I wanted to try making cider.

I make apple butter most because it condenses the apples to store in less space / fewer jars.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In east Texas, apples were not grown. There are finally varieties that will grow and do well in our heat, without the winter chilling hours. I don't have apple trees. I love to read about the harvest of apples that others have. Many times it is from old established trees, planted by someone unknown to the recipient of the harvest.

For Texas, the pear tree was the standard. I don't think pear trees reach the age that apple trees do. But they do put out a good harvest. My grandmother used to make mock apple pie. LOL I got lucky this fall and was able to pick pears and can them in light syrup. I love them that way. Maybe some day I'll plant an orchard of different fruit trees and be able to reap the harvest. I have an apricot tree, pear (got 3 pears this year!), and 2 peach trees. Putting the place up for sale in March, fruit trees are always listed on realtor ads.

Latest posts