Apples!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I always get a few bushels of apples and they are delish.

Just wondering with the season coming.....how do you store apples?

Do you cut and freeze? Make apple butter and such only?

How do you handle the apple season and put up enough to last thru winter and such. Just wondering what everyone does.

Also any great and different apple desserts would be appreciated...but simple..LOL..I don't devote alot of time to cooking.
Thanks!

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Pick 'em eat 'em
Or find a recipe for applesauce, my grandma made it for me it is good. The season will be a couple months.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I used to make canned pie filling which was so good- you could do so many things with it. But I have become lazier and now I dehydrate thin apple slices which are also a useful thing for making quick dishes. I have one of those peeler/slicer things which make it too easy to dehydrate.
Applesauce is really easy with the right kind of apple- some apple fall apart when cooking and don't need any processing.
It depends on your type of apples too- some with keep a long time others need to be used asap.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I'm an applesauce person, can't get enough of it, and really enjoy the differences between how different varieties come out. (I like it best when made with at least 2 kinds in a batch, though, dunno why). No sugar, no cinnamon, just cooked down apples. Preferably organic so you don't have to peel 'em and it comes out all nice and pink :)

But, I think there is also a lot to be said for eating and applesaucing the early and mid-crop apples, then getting more late-crop varieties for storage. If you keep a good eye on them, you can catch 'em starting to get 'funny' in any various way and then you can just cook or applesauce them at that point if it seems necessary.

Mmmm, apples <drool>

Pat, having bought a few of the earliest local Yellow Transparents a few weeks ago, but that's all so far

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Let's see you can make applesauce, apple jelly, apple mint jelly, apple butter, apple pie filling. Just to name a few. If you google apple recipes you will get so many sites it will make your head spin. Just kidding but you will find several.
I am glad that is all I have left to put up this year. I will be done once I get my apple sauce, apple pie filling and apple butter put up.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
YummmmM! I can't wait for apple season... though the local farmers say it's a bad year, numbers are way down. I know the trees close to our house didn't blossom. I didn't check the ones out towards the edge of our property. I'll still get some from the local farmers.

We eat just eat 'em! :bun The best tasting tart and crisp ones I slice, sprinkle w/ cinnamon and sugar and freeze in ziplocs. I put enough in each bag for one pie. I wish we had a bigger freezer b/c I'd do a ton that way! This year I'll can some too! (for crisps and ice cream topping and oatmeal add-in)
I also make apple sauce w/ the older ones as they're starting to turn. I don't think we could possibly make enough applesauce to satisfy this family. We go through a ton. I have to watch for sales. But store bought sure doesn't beat homemade!

Oh I can't wait! my mouth's watering just thinkin' about it!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We love applesauce around here too. When i was a kid--the only way my parents got me to eat anything was to put applesauce on it. If is was covered, I would eat it.

What i would like to know is how do you store the apples so they last a long time. i know with my potatoes, i buy the 50lb bags and keep them in the garage--we have a grade entrance from the basement to the garage. the potatoes last this way but the apples didn't fair as well last winter. I stored them in cardboard boxes in the dark stairwell. Any suggestions?

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
wrap each apple individually in newspaper!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bad, wormy crop this year. Only got one good tree, the Granny Smiths, simply loaded with big apples. The Early Transparents were big but wormy.

Some years ya win, some ya don't. :(