milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm wondering how many here have a hydroponic setup for their garden, and if anyone else is set up for aquaponics. We're hoping to set up an aquaponics tank this spring to raise tilapia and to fertilize the garden. I think @WildWyandott110 mentioned it too? Anyone else tried raising their own fish? Or used fish water as fertilizer?

WildWyandott110

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a hydroponic setup. I'm also thinking about converting it to an aquaponics system. My issue is sourcing the fish.

sweelmeister1221

Frugally lurking
Reaction score
I do. There are only a couple of build-it-yourself aquaponics system guides that I would recommend, and Aquaponics 4 You by John Fay, a Certified Organic Farmer and Aquaponics Expert, is one of them.

It’s a written manual and video that shows you the step-by-step process of building a simple and fully functional aquaponics system for under $400 (a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a pre-made system from the shops).

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been watching a bunch of videos. I don’t know for sure but I believe my cousin raises her tomatoes with aquaponics in a greenhouse and markets them herself. I want to take a look before I attempt anything but was really thinking about setting up some PVC pipes in the windows of this old house instead of curtains and grow things. The videos make it look so easy. I imagine the water must disappear fast after a while.
I saw some videos with fish to be used in place of fertilizer. The house doesn’t have gutters but if it did I could save lots of rainwater and I would really have to put in some kind of fish; otherwise the mosquitoes would be horrible, so if I would hose from the bottom I would always have fish poop. In fact I can do this regardless because lots of water barrels with feeder fish near the barn.
But itching to try the PVC thing because I have to see something pretty. I am getting old and if I can grow my food in the windows I am in.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the further south you get the better - otherwise you are having to heat a space to keep it from freezing or you have to set it up to drain properly for the cold weather season when you can't heat it all.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been watching a bunch of videos. I don’t know for sure but I believe my cousin raises her tomatoes with aquaponics in a greenhouse and markets them herself. I want to take a look before I attempt anything but was really thinking about setting up some PVC pipes in the windows of this old house instead of curtains and grow things. The videos make it look so easy. I imagine the water must disappear fast after a while.
I saw some videos with fish to be used in place of fertilizer. The house doesn’t have gutters but if it did I could save lots of rainwater and I would really have to put in some kind of fish; otherwise the mosquitoes would be horrible, so if I would hose from the bottom I would always have fish poop. In fact I can do this regardless because lots of water barrels with feeder fish near the barn.
But itching to try the PVC thing because I have to see something pretty. I am getting old and if I can grow my food in the windows I am in.
@Medicine Woman have you dug any further into this? I would be interested to hear how it goes if you do. I would only be able to do hydroponics in the summer because of our weather but I would love to learn from.your experiences