Aquaponics

autumnprairie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
hi, I am not sure where to post this but I was wondering if anyone does aquaponics or hydroponics and would be willing to share how they got started. I want to start but looking for info before I do
Thanks ahead of time

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If you go in the gardening section, there's several threads of aquaponics. Check them out, they might have the answers to your questions. (I was going to post a link, but there's several!)

autumnprairie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
If you go in the gardening section, there's several threads of aquaponics. Check them out, they might have the answers to your questions. (I was going to post a link, but there's several!)
thanks

Mr.Andersson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I always forget to use the search feature in the blue line, very useful tool.:thumbsup
Never be afraid to ask a question though, the worst one, is the one not asked. And btw, look at the ones with the fewest pages first

brandylorton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I do have a setup. It is both dual aquaponics and hydroponics system.Here all the waste material of the aquaponics system are being used for the hydroponics system and the water purified from the hydroponics system is used in the aquaponics system.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
brandylorton said:
I do have a setup. It is both dual aquaponics and hydroponics system.Here all the waste material of the aquaponics system are being used for the hydroponics system and the water purified from the hydroponics system is used in the aquaponics system.
How big is your set up? How many plants are you raising? What are the temperatures there? What is the geography of your place? What agricultural zone are you in?
I studied aquaponics extensively a while back. It needs to be in a warm environment to be successful. I would imagine that if it is too hot, maybe the environment would be too harsh as well as if it were too cold.
What kind of fish are you raising in your aquaponic set up? What are you feeding them?
I am very interested in this. Please tell me more. :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
So am I. Eventually I'm wanting to set something up, just not sure when. I need to figure out if I can make something that will be financially feasible as well as fairly easy to maintain.

brandylorton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I got a simple setup with few plants there and few fishes there withe both system situated horizontal . Here the hp system is up and the as usual the ap system is at the down side.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We've got a pond. Right now, we're not raising fish in it, although I originally thought I'd like to raise edible fish (probably tilapia or maybe catfish). The reason is the pond liner. We have sandy soil on a lot of our property. We dug the pond where there was a natural depression (big puddle) in a gully. Good location, because water was flowing in the gully, and the pond is nicely visible from the deck on our house. But our land's sandy soil meant we had to use a pond-lining material.

We chose butyl (artificial rubber) because it is fairly thick and said to be very durable and resistant to punctures. After we had lined the pond and done a lot of finishing work, I was talking with a local guy who displayed some confidence in matters related to raising edible fish. I was told that butyl is a substance that would give off molecules that the fish would absorb into their bodies, making the flesh undesirable for human consumption.

So we are just raising decorative aquatic plants in there (no toxicity problems... the plants all thrive).

Does anyone know anything about butyl and using it to contain the water environment for food fish?

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
brandylorton said:
I got a simple setup with few plants there and few fishes there withe both system situated horizontal . Here the hp system is up and the as usual the ap system is at the down side.
I'd like to see a picture of your setup. Why not take some pictures of your hydroponic and aquaponic garden and post them for us?

Latest posts