Aquaponics

Dirty Harry

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If you watch the pilot episode of Doomsday Preppers from National Geographic Channel you can see a setup a guy in Arizona made in an old swimming pool (you can download it from pirate bay also if you are so inclined). The amount of both fish and produce that can be produced with this method is amazing. He had the pool all drained except the deep end where he had the tilapia. The water was pumped to the shallow end and watered the vegetables all the way back down. The fish reach about three pounds in ten months. You can keep at least a thousand in a pool that sized.

It is a little more challenging if you live in the north. I am thinking of building a greenhouse onto the end of my house for aquaponics. My plan is to put a woodstove in the greenhouse and pipe it into my ductwork to heat the house. The stove should also put off enough heat to keep the greenhouse warm in the winter. Tilapia are tropical fish and will die if the temperature drops below fifty degrees. Another option is to grow yellow perch, which aren't as sensitive to cold but don't produce as well. Of course the plants won't do well if it isn't warm either.

I'm still in the planning stage so I would like any info others may have on the subject. It sure sounds nice to have fresh produce and fish all year around. Of course feeding the woodstove 24/7 is another thing. I gotta believe that tending to plants and fish would sure liven up the winters here in Michigan though.

brandylorton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Dirty Harry said:
If you watch the pilot episode of Doomsday Preppers from National Geographic Channel you can see a setup a guy in Arizona made in an old swimming pool (you can download it from pirate bay also if you are so inclined). The amount of both fish and produce that can be produced with this method is amazing. He had the pool all drained except the deep end where he had the tilapia. The water was pumped to the shallow end and watered the vegetables all the way back down. The fish reach about three pounds in ten months. You can keep at least a thousand in a pool that sized.

It is a little more challenging if you live in the north. I am thinking of building a greenhouse onto the end of my house for aquaponics. My plan is to put a woodstove in the greenhouse and pipe it into my ductwork to heat the house. The stove should also put off enough heat to keep the greenhouse warm in the winter. Tilapia are tropical fish and will die if the temperature drops below fifty degrees. Another option is to grow yellow perch, which aren't as sensitive to cold but don't produce as well. Of course the plants won't do well if it isn't warm either.

I'm still in the planning stage so I would like any info others may have on the subject. It sure sounds nice to have fresh produce and fish all year around. Of course feeding the woodstove 24/7 is another thing. I gotta believe that tending to plants and fish would sure liven up the winters here in Michigan though.
Thanks harry for such a wonderful reply here.I will definitely watch the episode as i also want to creat my own garden having both the setup so will be very much helpful to me.

David Harritz

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, that is a very nice information that you have provide to me which is very much useful for the gardening. It is also important for me to plant a good amount of plants in the environment. It is required the need of the time which is usually done in nature.

Latest posts