Are beets and turnips good for chickens and rabbits?

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
While planning our fall garden, my husband noted that beets and turnips grow well here, but he doesn't want to eat them.

And i thought that's ok if the chickens can eat them.

And i'm sure they CAN eat them. Lord knows they eat everything - but i'm talking about on a beneficial to their diet level.

In a SS situation, when we're not buying feed anymore, are these a good crop to lean back on for chicken/rabbit nutrition?

Thanks for any input.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
There are some interesting articles online about mangels. Mangels are "fodder beets" that used to be commonly used as winter animal feed in place of grain. Bee and I have both attempted to grow them...the last two years my entire root crop failed, so I still haven't tried them other than the pathetic, wimpy little roots that I found struggling to survive the swamp that was last summer here.

I planted them again this year (how forgiving and hopeful we gardeners are!) and will use them to supplement my poultry and my goats.

I feed beet pulp shreds, purchased at the feed store, and everyone loves them. I feed them to the goats but the chickens work hard to steal them, too.

If I get a good crop of mangels, everyone will get them this coming winter.

Articles on feeding them to poultry on this site: www.themodernhomestead.us

ETA: Oh, to answer your question, YES! :p Mangels are grown for livestock because they are monsters when grown successfully, each root can be over five pounds. My seeds are three years old, too, and sprouted quite well this spring.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I haven't tried to plant them yet this year, Free...but I will. I'm thinking I will plant them as a fall crop along with my beets, kale, turnips.

I'm hoping the fall rains will help them grow.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just remember, if you give your chickens beets, don't be afraid when you see their poo. I nearly had a heart attack.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have been giving the green to the chickens and rabbit, even the dog stole a few. If I have a few over sized beets should they be shredded for the hens?

Great link!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
They'll clean them up better if you shred them. Harvey throws them in whole. My chickens won't eat a lot of whole things, but mine still have access to the pasture all winter, and Harvey's are more confined I think. Mine won't work hard on a root veg when green grass is poking through the snow, easy access. But they will steal a carrot peel right out of a goat's mouth! Those hens are quick!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Note that in Harvey Ussery's poultry feeding section of his site, he has many articles that he wrote that were published in several magazines. His thinking progresses over time, and he now does not grind his feed for his hens at all. So maybe start with "Turning off the Grinder" I think it is called, then go back to see what else he is feeding. I found his site after he was no longer grinding grains, and that gave me the courage and inspiration to make the switch to whole grains. I am very thankful to him....thanks, Harvey! :frow

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
Incidentally i did start with that one, before you said so.

I haven't gotten to read much of it yet, but i have it in my favorites for quick reference. Hopefully, this fall, we'll finally get our garden really ramped up for serious production.