Are CSA Worth It

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ha ha good question! This post reminded me of what time of year it is and I just now signed up for a CSA. It is not the one I used in the past- I have moved- but this one has a farm store. They say:

At the farm we sell sustainably-raised products from other local farms including meat, eggs and certified organic cheese from animals raised on pasture, certified organic ****aake mushrooms, honey (some of which comes from bees at our farm), and also fair-trade, organic coffee, chocolate and olive oil. For most of the season, there are usually flowers growing for you to pick and create your own bouquets as part of your share. You can also explore the farm or play on the swings or in the sandbox!

I am excited. Thanks for the reminder.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
In the interest of full disclosure, I will first say I am a CSA farmer.

It's hard to compare CSAs, as "share" sizes flux throughout the season. I would say across an entire season, my customers are getting much better prices than if they bought organic produce at Whole Foods, for example. Because I look each of them in the face every single week as I hand over their food, I care very, very much that it is beautiful, fresh and a good value.

Plus, my customers (and nearly all CSA customers) are getting added value in the form of on-farm activities like pesto making, potlucks, corn processing days, canning classes, weekly newsletters, a community-building atmosphere with other customers, etc.

I also offer ways for my families to bring down their price through helping on the farm, OR they can exchange 4 hours weekly for all their food.

But, you cannot compare the prices in a factory food system with the prices in an organic, local food system. Unless you want your local farmers to be doing as poorly as other farmers who grow factory food. And unless you are fine with the land in your community being conventional with all the goodies that chemicals and GMO bring with them.

Another caveat: In my area, nearly all CSAs are organic or certified organic. So, CSA automatically is a much different farming system than the conventional grain growers around it.

Here are what I look for in a potentially happy customer:
1. Loves to cook, or is excited to learn.
2. Enjoys surprises.
3. Is not too picky.

As for abifae's comment on losing money, it is true that CSA is supposed to be a shared risk between the farmer and the customer. However, when I feel lack of a crop has been my error, I buy certified organic from my peer farmers so that my customers don't go without (at no extra charge to them). One year I lost my tomatoes due to blight, but I got all my FIL's and subbed those instead. It really depends on the farm. We have high ground, so we never lose crops due to flooding, although many in our area do.

Good luck!
This is what my goal for our farm is! I'm starting small, with chickens and ducks, and expanding from there. Also, starting small with a small(ish) veggie garden this year, so we can learn what does good and what doesn't, how to make it better, etc. I want to be able to, not get rich, but to raise enough for us, and enough left over to sell to others to cover the cost of seeds :D Really, thats what its all about. I just want other people to pay for my veggie seeds, and I reward them with some veggies :) But it would be fun to have canning classes, even for free, and goat soap classes, and etc :) Oooh, now you have me all energized and excited and stumbling overmyself in my head! :thumbsup

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
colowyo--That was my original goal, too :) Just pay for all our food by having other people cover my costs. Plus, get a nice rototiller, floating row covers, etc. Now I'm trying to expand until I can quit my other job and have this be the main one.

We have bees, too. Turkeys, ducks and chickens. And now I'm making and selling soap, body balm and lip balm. Funny how it all grows, hey?

Best luck to you!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
chickenone said:
Ha ha good question! This post reminded me of what time of year it is and I just now signed up for a CSA. It is not the one I used in the past- I have moved- but this one has a farm store. They say:

At the farm we sell sustainably-raised products from other local farms including meat, eggs and certified organic cheese from animals raised on pasture, certified organic ****aake mushrooms, honey (some of which comes from bees at our farm), and also fair-trade, organic coffee, chocolate and olive oil. For most of the season, there are usually flowers growing for you to pick and create your own bouquets as part of your share. You can also explore the farm or play on the swings or in the sandbox!

I am excited. Thanks for the reminder.
So, chickenone, would you say that lots of diversity and local offerings are what are attracting you?

As a CSA owner, the more people retained from year to year, the better. I want to know quite honestly what makes people quit CSAs or move to another one.

This makes me wonder if I need to do a better job advertising ALL we have available here:
Local honey, soap and other skin products, turkey/duck/chicken eggs and meat, bulk sweet corn, etc.

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals-

I am fortunate to have had three CSAs within the same driving distance to choose from. I selected the one I did because 1. they offer partial shares. The others do not;and I am only one person. 2. The ability to buy pastured meat and organic cheese and eggs, etc. That is a huge plus for me.

This is a 220 member CSA; and they have numerous pick up points and dates. I elected to pick up at the farm, even though it is not as close, because of the farm store. Buying local is very important to me.

What I enjoyed most about the CSA in the past was the variety of items that I might not ordinarily try; the knowledge that the bulk of my produce was harvested THAT DAY; and the ability to chat with the farmer about her philosophies and growing methods. I did have a frank discussion with her about why I was leaving- I was moving- so that she would know that it wasn't anything she did or didn't do. That CSA was small, and it felt like a family. I will see if the larger one has the same feeling.

By all means, make sure that people know all you have to offer. It can make the difference when chosing a CSA.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I do think CSAs can be worth it, but for me I decided against it. For the $500-$700 it would have cost me to do one at a farm nearby, I figured I could convert my yard in to garden beds, pay for seeds, etc...

Plus being low carb, I can't just eat anything and take whatever I get. I also have a picky autistic son. If I tried to feed him something weird he would freak :p

So I took my potential CSA money and bought dirt, edging, timber, containers, and seeds. Most of the money I used to improve my property for gardening I earned through selling ducklings and hatching eggs.

I am glad I did it, but I can totally see someone without the willingness or ability to garden joining one. Knowing where your food came from means more and more all the time.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Gotta say I'm jealous of all you who have CSAs to choose from. The closest one is an hour away, and it is very small, there is a waiting list. The one I would love to go to is an hour and a half away. It is just not cost effective for me to go there.

I would love to have a CSA nearby, and if I had more land, I would love to start one. Although I must admit I am not the best gardener, nor do I love it. I do it b/c I want the fresh, organic produce. What I do love doing though, is taking care of the animals, and raising meat critters.

Me&, do you have a website for your CSA?

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well if you are looking for input -- I am ALL about fresh foods, knowing how it was raised, etc. Variety is secondary but still important. Being able to get meat, cheese, etc. would be a major factor. I am all for supporting local farmers, don't mind working on the farm, and appreciate the sense of community. All of those are important to me.

Unfortunately, like it or not, cost IS a factor. I have hit a few unexpected bumps in the past several years and it's taking time to recover -- especially when I hit new bumps. Seven or eight years ago I'd have been right in there supporting it 100% and I have hopes that I can turn things around soon.

In case I can't as quickly as I'd like, and for the meantime, that's why I'm growing my own as well. And also for the "just in case" factor. But if there were a financial helping organization for participating, I'd love that. Or even if the local farm accepted help, but as it is they have a large family and they all work the farm, so I'm doubtful. I just found them though, so I'll be checking into it. :)

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If you don't mind my asking, how far are you from Belleville and where is the CSA you mentioned; I am laying the groundwork for a meat CSA and may look to veggies as well; I am not overly familiar with Ontario.

miss_thenorth said:
Gotta say I'm jealous of all you who have CSAs to choose from. The closest one is an hour away, and it is very small, there is a waiting list. The one I would love to go to is an hour and a half away. It is just not cost effective for me to go there.

I would love to have a CSA nearby, and if I had more land, I would love to start one. Although I must admit I am not the best gardener, nor do I love it. I do it b/c I want the fresh, organic produce. What I do love doing though, is taking care of the animals, and raising meat critters.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
animalfarm said:
If you don't mind my asking, how far are you from Belleville and where is the CSA you mentioned; I am laying the groundwork for a meat CSA and may look to veggies as well; I am not overly familiar with Ontario.

miss_thenorth said:

I am southwest of Chatham, an hour east of Windsor. Very far from belleville. the CSA I was talking about is in the London St. Thomas area (the good one) the not so good one is in Windsor,

Latest posts