ARE THE OLD MASON JARS SAFE

dddct

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I just received several dozen old mason jars for canning from someone from freecycle. But these are the type with glass lids and a gasket and a metal clasp over the top. Can I use those? How do I use those? and how do I tell if something seals with those? If they can't be used what can they be used for. I have a lot of them now.

BTW still haven't tried my pickled eggs yet...trying to give them a few weeks to get good and pickled...

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
They are not generally recommended these days, as being more likely to have seal failures than the modern type.

However if you are ok with that and the rims are unchipped, they are fine to use IF you can find replacement rubber gaskets, which is the tricky part.

The replacement gaskets are actually pretty readily available up here, but I never saw any when I lived in the States so I think you would have to really look around.

Frankly I think they are best used for dry storage -- they are great for beans, dried herbs, anything at all you want to keep mice out of, etc.

I have never canned in them myself but I believe that you test the seal same as the sort of 'second test' for whether modern ones seal -- remove the ring, hold the jar by just the edge of the lid, be a bit brusque with it, see if the lid stays attached.

Some people collect them, btw -- if you have any *really* old ones you might see if they're worth anything. I believe the glass lids are as collectible as the jars themselves in fact, judging by comments I've overheard at auctions and junk shops :)

Have fun,

Pat

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
True Value has the replacement gaskets. I've never used them for anything except dry storage though.

dddct

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I was able to pick up some gaskets as Shagbark also a true value dealer. I had heard they'd be good for dry storage. I have about 6-7 dozen that she didn't want. I was so excited about getting them until I saw them.

They are pretty jars and I may use them to put dry soup mixes in and selll them at the Farmer's market when I go to sell the eggs.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
dddct said:
I was able to pick up some gaskets as Shagbark also a true value dealer. I had heard they'd be good for dry storage. I have about 6-7 dozen that she didn't want. I was so excited about getting them until I saw them.

They are pretty jars and I may use them to put dry soup mixes in and selll them at the Farmer's market when I go to sell the eggs.
That sounds like a great idea!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's a great idea using them for resale. The money you earn will surely pay for the modern jars. I have a couple I use only for dry storage. :D

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have several that I love! I use tham for dry storage also. I am always looking for more.

Monica

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Some mason jars and old canning jars are worth a lot of money. Especially if they are blue glass. So I wouldn't sell any without knowing what they are worth.
I kept mine and use for dried spinach and herbs, etc, only have to wait a month or so to pick spinach here.
Lin

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I also use them for fancy dried storage.

Another interesting fact - those old jars have certain chemicals in the make up of the glass that actually react with the sunlight. I have several of the oldies that have been exposed to the sun on purpose and they turned a pretty iridescent purpley color.

I did not have food in the while they were being sun sitters - I used them to start plants, like philodendrons, in. Works great but it does take quite a while (read years sometimes). Still it is a cool way to use the old jars.

dddct

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Just bought a bunch of stuff to make candles and am going to use some of the canning jars for andles. i bought pretty ribbons and will design and print a nice label...Durham Country Candles... I plan to try tomorrow once the kiddy gets on the bus. Can't wait :weee:weee

Latest posts