2. White Pine
3. Pear
4. Apple
5. Black Pine
6. Locust
7. RHododendron
8. Honey Suckle
9. Ornamental Pear

There are also some bulb flowers too..........

S

sunsaver

Maybe the rhododendren and bulbs. I think the rest are safe, or at least not deadly. If they get a belly ache, they won;t touch it again.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It depends on whether it is in their pasture with plenty of other stuff to eat or whether you are bringing it to them. Rhododendron is a big no-no either way.

Maples are fine except red maples......not just the ornamentals but also the wild ones with the red stems on the leaf. Otherwise, maples are a great food for them.

White pine...in moderation is fine. I have white pines in my pasture.

Pear and apple are fine.

I don't know about the others.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Its a fairly big area, with plenty of grass and moss. I also have access to scrap veggies and plants.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Don't assume goats won't eat toxic plants. Sometimes they don't know any better. It's best to remove them completely just to be safe. :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Get rid of the rhododendrons for sure. They will poison themselves with that one. Especially the growing parts, so if you cut it down, remove the stump so it doesn't sprout. Learned this one the hard way when we were clearing land for pasture years ago. Let the goats out to browse and one took a liking to wild laurel shoots and died. Quickly. I hired a bulldozer. It was an expensive lesson.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
They will kill the pear and apple trees so you don't want them near them, they will strip off the bark. We do have some neighbors with some extremely old apple trees and they have nigerian dwarfs in with them, perhaps because they are just old, tough trees. My goats totally consumed the apple and pear trees here.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
They will kill the pear and apple trees so you don't want them near them, they will strip off the bark. We do have some neighbors with some extremely old apple trees and they have nigerian dwarfs in with them, perhaps because they are just old, tough trees. My goats totally consumed the apple and pear trees here.
Is there a way to prevent that? We are putting in anew orchard but it would be nice to keep these?