are they realy going to do this?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Unbelievable and uninforceable.....at least for the most part. A big farmer, with hundreds of acres who is farming a single item and is on the books as being a farmer, might have to be certified and such and therefore the feds might have to be in bed with him, but the average joe, who has a 9 to 5 and does some side-line farming to keep his family up in some extras and have better food choices isn't on the books as being a farmer and doesn't have all kinds of certifications and in all likelyhood the older children tend the animals and watering chores while Mom and Dad are away at 'work' or otherwise busy with necessary household chores.
What my children do from time to time, didn't too much entail what would be considered illegal, but a few times a customer did show up when I was at work. If my kids knew them, they'd make the sale. And once it was Latin Americans, who either didn't understand or pretended not to understand that I was the one to talk to and my daughter did catch them some meat chickens and make the sale.....while I was on the phone with her younger sister who was staring at the deal from our front door. I prefer to put myself in harms way over them, but my kids are right there with me and know how to do my work and when its their turn they won't be helpless. My oldest child helped me pluck chickens when she was 6 years old.....I should have done that with all of them. I did it when I was a kid and it seems to have served me well.
The feds aren't looking at the big picture.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I happen to agree that the government does work towards getting their citizens more and more depended on the government. Kind of scary. Funny you are looking for farms to provide work for the kids, we have been looking for kids for our farm forever. We just can't seem to find people who want to work hard. They have to pick up 4 wheel barrows of poop and call it quits. I always tell them that there are more enjoyable chores but first you have to get the "dirty" chores done, then you can start playing with the horses and doing some training, etc. We usually lose them within a month.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My kids have always learned do it once, do it right, and give 110% every time.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Avalon1984 said:
I happen to agree that the government does work towards getting their citizens more and more depended on the government. Kind of scary. Funny you are looking for farms to provide work for the kids, we have been looking for kids for our farm forever. We just can't seem to find people who want to work hard. They have to pick up 4 wheel barrows of poop and call it quits. I always tell them that there are more enjoyable chores but first you have to get the "dirty" chores done, then you can start playing with the horses and doing some training, etc. We usually lose them within a month.
Too bad you weren't around when I was a kid and close! I would have been more than willing to shovel manure for the chance to be around horses.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Good news! The State FFA Adviser has just posted on facebook that this law has been dismissed/withdrawn!!! :woot

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
So they want to keep the 'educational program' they were proposing? The one that requires kids who participate in 4-H and FFA to take a 90 hour government class first? Or do they want ALL kids, who work on the family farm, etc. to take part in this 'educational program'? :barnie Just drop it, completely, already!! This is so frustrating!

Latest posts