Are we a Christian nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Look what happened to Ben Franklin. His parents gave him anti-deist literature. He ended up agreeing with the deists.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
me&thegals said:
DianeB said:
Parents should also not be concerned that learning evolution is going to turn them against God. That is ridiculous. If you regularly practice and discuss your religon/beliefs, you have nothing to worry about.
Now, that is for *those* parents to decide. Not you or I.
In the end it's for the child to decide. Regardless of how the parents treat the topics of religion or evolution or any other thing they might want the child to believe or disbelieve, the child WILL eventually be presented with someone who believes the other side and they may or may not decide that it makes more sense to them.
Well, yes, children will choose their own beliefs some day. My point is to "Parents should also not be concerned...." My point is that parents can choose whether or not to be concerned over anything, not me, not anyone else. Just because someone thinks their concerns are ridiculous does not necessarily make it so.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Parents should also not be concerned that learning evolution is going to turn them against God. That is ridiculous. If you regularly practice and discuss your religon/beliefs, you have nothing to worry about.
Did it ever occur to you that parents are not necessarily worried that their children learning about evolution was going to turn them against God? Maybe some folks don't buy into the whole "evolution has been scientifically proven" bit and think that it gets shoved repeatedly down our children's throats as a fact. It is still the theory of evolution, for if it wasn't it would be just evolution.

No missing link. Carbon dating has been proven to be faulty time after time.

Now, I know all you very intelligent folks will just scream about this post, but you have a right to your beliefs of evolution as I have a right to my beliefs. I don't happen to BELIEVE that evolution is a proven fact. Nor do many other scientists in this world. In all my years of schooling, I've not seen one shred of believable evidence that this theory is none other than a theory.

I take umbrage at the fact that it is being presented to my children as a fact, when it is, in effect, a belief in an unproven theory. Therefore, I don't like other people's beliefs shoved down my children's throats just like you wouldn't like creationism shoved down yours.

Never fear, my children were very well grounded in their belief system before they ever stepped foot in a school. THAT is MY job, not the school's. ;)

Now.....try to keep it civil, huh? I've been beat up enough lately.... :)

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry, if you feel beaten up. I don't think that was anyone's intent. All of us come from different backgrounds. We bring many persepectives to this forum. Sometimes they differ greatly and cause a heated discussion.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Sorry, if you feel beaten up. I don't think that was anyone's intent
Oh, DianeB, I wasn't blaming anyone on here for beating me up....life and my family has taken that liberty of late, not y'all! :D I was just asking that you guys not tear me limb from limb on my statements of my beliefs.....sometimes it can get a little bloody on here. Not as bad as BYC, but the claws DO come out on occasion. Nothing seems to bring them out quicker than politics and religion! :lol: :lol:

Perhaps, I do not like to be accused otherwise.
Not sure who accused you of not being a Christian, but I didn't read the whole thread.....got lost on the Viking beliefs on creation! :lol:

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Not as bad as BYC, but the claws DO come out on occasion. Nothing seems to bring them out quicker than politics and religion! :lol: :lol:
I was thinking about this today. Very few of the active comments are about sustainable living.

As for arguing, it really doesn't bother me unless it is deeply personal. Such as someone attacking my religon, family or friends directly. General political/religous discussion though heated don't really get my backup - only annoyed. I have to remind myself that even small comments can really hurt some people's feelings - not you inpaticular, in general. Years of college helped me understand that discussions/arguements are just that. People have different ideas and will express them. It is okay to disagree.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Actually not much in this thread is about sustainable living, and it's rife with comments that can hurt feelings. I think the discussion has run its course, thank you all for participating.

Status
Not open for further replies.