Are we improving our financial outlook being ss?

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know that most people on this forum are having it hard financially. I was just wondering something.

Since you have discovered this forum have the tips and opinions helped you to spend less money?

Before October of 2008 I was in a serious debt situation. I am sure that most of my financial woes were from wanting material things instead of holding on to the money and saving it for a rainy day. I would sit and watch tv wishing I had the house, cars, clothes and in general the lives those people seemed to have. I was whiny and cross all the time.

One day, I wandered over to this forum and a light went on. Why was I working so hard to have-have-have? What was I trying to prove? I didn't spend any time outside other than to sit by the lake or weed my flower gardens. I couldn't believe what a waste I was making of my time.

Now instead of spending money to entertain myself I have started spending time outside, even on the coldest days I am out there with my chickens or hauling wood, shoveling snow or walking with the dog. I feel better and have saved thousands of dollars in a few months.

Some of the things I have done are:

Stop spending money for everything I want. I make something instead. Beading, quilting or cooking the presents I used to buy for my mom or family.

Stop using credit and debit cards. I would always find myself trying to catch up to the last shopping spree or fun time with the family.

I only shop for groceries every four to five weeks. Suprisingly enough I still only spend the same amount of money that I spent every two weeks. Another suprise, I have more groceries now than ever before.

I shop for soaps and supplies about once every two months, buying enough to keep us until the next time. I even splurged on fancy soap for me. Again, I have more supplies than ever before.

I cut out junk food completely from the grocery bill. I won't buy pizza, chips, pop or candy in the groceries anymore. I won't buy frozen dinners either. My son has lost about thirty pounds and has improved in sports ten fold.

We now have four times as much money set aside than in October. My credit cards are almost paid off again after my little Christmas spree. (which I think I did out of habit):he

It feels good to have money in the bank and things to do other than stress about bills.

What have you done to cut down on spending in your homes?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I would be doing well if it weren't for Dh...he is the one that buys all the junk food, eats out, and needs coffee money, gas and parts for his 'toys' everytime I have a spare dollar.
I have cut off the credit and debit cards though, but it's not helping...it's just irritating me because now I KNOW what he is spending, he has to ask me for it in cash:>) If he knows I have $20, he needs $40...what am I going to do with him? When I balk he says "I make the money in this family...."
But seriously he is a wonderful guy besides all that :rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Holy moly all of that great change since only October! That is wonderful and he lost 30 lbs by changing your buying habits. WOW

Share! you are doing great!

Sounds like something truly lit up in you. Took the old bull by the horns and ran with it. SS is a challenge...one to make you think, try to save here and there, do this and that.....it is a great play to the mind I think. I like trying to be SS and win !!

Hmm.....

money money money---hate it and love it.

For me, being more SS also has a hidden agenda. I want to save money also for more family camping trips. So frugal goes with my SS ways.....instead of spending on big bills, debt, material stuff that I just look at kinda, I would rather be on vacation having a blast in a new location enjoying myself and making memories!

I have truly cut down on grocery bills. I want away from processed stuff and am slowly finding alternatives thanks to this board. Making my own food....hmm....this board pushed me further and great recipes from members means I can attempt to make more and more at home.

I look for "used" first to buy, then new if I have no other choice.

I say to myself----do I truly need that and if the answer is no, it is a want, most times I pass it by.

SS with a farm means outside time. So much more healthy and fun to be outside than inside for me.

I shop to save time also. Good sale, grab it and not have to go to the store for that item again for a while. Out of stores means out of possible spending money times, and I am off doing better things hopefully!!

Tony is good. He has jumped on board cause I think the ---save your money for hard times and for fun times----is sinking in for him. Instead of just spending to spend for instant gratification, he is learning to save more for our trips and such in the future. That way it works with no credit cards, cash only. Cash only is a good way to live truly!

Less stress when you know you are improving your financial situations also. You do have control..at least over your own money!!! Not much we truly can control in life, but the few things we can, we should!!

good thread Share

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow shareneh! You are doing a fantastic job! Good for you and your your family.

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sharenh

Sounds like ya'll are doing all the good. It feels good to accomplish something real rather than go "spend" to fill the gap inside. I was(and still am at times) so impulse spending. And all that "stuff" never made me happy. But watching my chicks, messing with the plants, clearing land for a tangible goal...thats where its at, if you know what I mean.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I guess I could never calculate how much I've saved in a dollar amount like Sharenh, as I didn't ever start living SS as a way to save the money I was wasting on material things or creating debt.

I was brought up off-grid, SS and all that and I never really had an opportunity to make a great deal of money. I guess the real savings for me was that I adapted my lifestyle to live on the little I could make, over the years, and its become a way of life out of sheer necessity.

I don't really know anyone who has lived on what I live on and do so well with it, so I guess I have improved~and am continuing to improve~ my financial outlook by not ever letting my life become anything more than SS.

I guess that is not as much of a contrast as someone who never did it, and finally did it, and it resulted in saving a good deal of money. I've never really ever lived anything other than frugal, make-do, recycle and SS. So....I guess I've saved myself a lot of money over the years by never really straying from a frugal lifestyle. :)

jackiedon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I grew up poor and most of our food was grown by my parents.

I wanted what the rich kids had and decided I wanted that lifestyle. I tried to live that lifestyle but the older I got the more I thought it was crazy. Plus food didn't taste as good as what I grew up on. I helped my daughter's 5th grade class hatch eggs and kept the baby chicks and I was hooked on chickens.

During all of this I was having health problems and now I am unable to hold a job. I feel bad because we are in such a financial bind due to me not being able to work. I want to do what I can to grow as much of our food to help out. I raised and processed chickens and put in the freezer and that felt good. Taste good too.

My girls see what other kids wear and the cost of it and they think it's crazy to spend that much on a shirt or a pair of jeans. So I hope my kids are learning to find bargins.

jackie