Are we living our dream?

Medicine Woman

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Continued from once upon a time. So my dream became a nightmare for a while and eventually I got back on track. Married a farmer who doesn’t exactly do everything exactly like me but still manages to make it work and is king of the dumpster dive. I did have to go to work full time because of certain complicated family obligations but I was on such a good roll. I was almost totally done with all debts and then I could have eased into retirement planning but here came Hurricane Ida.
I still want freedom from debt, utilities, grocery stores to an extent but Ida has tested me greatly. This is kinda my intro but I will follow up with my game plan for making that lemonade with all those lemons I was sent.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You have so much going on right now, I am sorry as it sounds like you are carrying a lot of weight on your shoulders. Know that you are loved and though many of us can't be there with you physically we got you-even if all we can do is lean an ear and a shoulder (virtually).

If there is anything I can do please let me know, really please let me know. Love and prayers

Medicine Woman

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good morning. I was afraid I couldn’t log onto this site while drinking coffee and Facebook is boring me. Woke up at daybreak in the quiet just the way I like.
My cousin came over yesterday early morning with his daughter. Daughter told me she hadn’t slept in 3 days. I cooked breakfast for everyone, wile Cuz and DH sighted the pellet gun and I told the daughter to go to bed in DD’s room. These are the type of relatives that some of the family won’t even look at due to past mistakes. He has never harmed me though. I thought the daughter would be spending the night but they must have had plans. Made me a little nervous to leave for the doctor with daughter asleep and cousin with drained car battery still there but I knew they wouldn’t touch anything in my absence. Still....considering I lost my house and I am grateful to not be homeless I am just glad I had a bed to send her to sleep in.
So cardiologist told us to diet and exercise....not much I can add to that. Wants us to walk. I don’t mind except when your feet hurt so much it’s hard to think about walking 20 minutes on concrete (which is where DH imagines us to go). I rather go walk in the orchard if I have to walk. Mother Earth gives; concrete doesn’t.
Cousin said he might go to the coop with us today if we go to work. That would be a blessing. I went yesterday afternoon with his daughter after picking up DD at the ex and caught hell with the wire cutters, trying to close in the coop. Probably about to head back. I love being there. I really think eventually I will call it home again, although different than pre Ida.
Going to Fort Polk Christmas morning to be with DS and family. Might stay in a hotel that night and leave the next afternoon.
I finally received a gift from a cousin I have, who lives in CA. She really shocked me. She sent me $1,000. I told her I would never have expected that much. I am honestly humbled. She doesn’t in the least understand my lifestyle so she probably imagined horrible suffering from my misfortune which I won’t deny...mentally anyway but...well I thought she knew I have survival skills and if anyone could get through this, it was me. I might take the money and play with it and see what good I can do with it. There really are suffering people down here after all.
So I didn’t see the turkey hen yesterday dead or alive. Hope I see her in a little bit.
Supposedly my godchild has some clothes DD1 sent down for me and I best go over and get it because I am really shy on clothes since Ida thinned out my wardrobe. Oh I have a few cash gifts and some FEMA money but I can wait for the Catholic Community Center to reopen. I am not so desperate that I will pay full price for something so temporary as clothes....heck not just clothes but everything. DH’s doctor was throwing away his waiting room chairs and I took so many of them and other things.
Been thinking about aquaculture lately. This house has more windows than I am used to and I am thinking instead of putting curtains, why not measure and cut PVC pipes and cap off and grow green beans and a salad garden or herbs....whatever.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So cardiologist told us to diet and exercise....not much I can add to that. Wants us to walk. I don’t mind except when your feet hurt so much it’s hard to think about walking 20 minutes on concrete (which is where DH imagines us to go). I rather go walk in the orchard if I have to walk. Mother Earth gives; concrete doesn’t.

aside from lack of give there are other aspects of walking on uneven surfaces which really help as you get older. if you can manage it, walking on varying surfaces really challenges your brain to work on balance a great deal, but it also helps your feet, legs, etc work harder and to be more flexible and capable.

i learned this when i was practicing Tai Chi regularly and when first was learning we were on a flat floor in a classroom type setting. so it was very uniform and not a challenge. then for a summer and part of a fall the next year we were practicing outdoors at a park and sometimes on a beach and i was also doing some practice in the woods. the next winter when we returned to indoor practicing i was amazed at how much my balance and strength had improved.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I totally understand about what, ideally would be best for me as far as balance and exercise. I am a little worried about fracturing my ankle. But yeah.
So funny we have talked about this...I called my doctor about my bloodwork. Got a return call. Total cholesterol was 239 and sugar was 129. He was going to put me on a med and told me diet and exercise. I said... hold on a minute. This is the first time in my life I have high cholesterol. Let me see what I can do until March. I will call y’all back and go in. Y’all weigh me, check my vitals and send me back for tests again and then we discuss meds. So that’s the plan. So tonight instead of run the dog and drive, we going to the park and walking the dog.
I will try to get on a save my life diet. Waiting for DH to get that little pig out the truck so we can leave. He has been working on a little pen. Cattle panels, T-posts and Hurricane Ida sheet metal. Little guy should be okay. Hurry up DH.
Can you get an LDL particle size analysis done? I had high cholesterol - 229. My old GP was trying to get me to make some major changes. Fortunately I have followed the science on cholesterol. The older research has significant flaws and the conclusions drawn from it have not produced the desired health outcomes. Further, low cholesterol is a significant risk factor for dementia - yikes! I'd take a quick exit from a heart attack over a slow demise from dementia any day. :(

From what I learned, LDL particle size is much more meaningful than total cholesterol. This is the test I had done. https://testdirectory.questdiagnost...oprotein-fractionation-ion-mobility?cc=MASTER My results were that my particle size is primarily large (healthful) and my high cholesterol does not represent any increased risk of vascular or cardiac disease. It was a relief. It was quite reasonable cost when ordered from Quest. I plan to have it repeated annually.

Understanding cholesterol was really hard for me at first because I don't have a medical background. I found some really good lectures on youtube that helped me understand it.

If you decide to reduce carbohydrate consumption, your cholesterol will increase. This does not represent increased risk, it's just your body mobilizing fat as fuel.

I ended up leaving my GP over the cholesterol issue and found a younger and more up-to-date doctor who was willing to order the particle size analysis.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I said... hold on a minute. This is the first time in my life I have high cholesterol. Let me see what I can do until March. I will call y’all back and go in. Y’all weigh me, check my vitals and send me back for tests again and then we discuss meds. So that’s the plan.
Kudos for lifestyle before meds. I respect that so much. It's not easy but I think it's worth it. :hugs You are already strong and active from your lifestyle. I have confidence in your success.

Medicine Woman

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Omg. I am sorry for your loss. But I hope you don’t regret your decision. It’s just been 2 months and I wouldn’t want you to forfeit your lifestyle and later regret it. Is there not a way to downsize the chores to make it manageable? Like for me...well I am a nurse and my coworkers have questioned me about my farm. I told them I make my living as a nurse and then the farm pretty much supports itself and only feeds me but if I had to choose I would farm because if I can’t work in the future as a nurse the farm is bread, meat, vegetables, fruit, cabins, warmth, water, herbs....basically everything I need. If I don’t have my land then I’ll be just as dependent on the money economy as everyone else. I just don’t believe in hasty decisions. I hope you have a good plan because I remember communicating with you in the past and people like us just don’t see things like most people.
If I were left alone with too much land to manage and no farmer to lease to or sharecrop with and by all means selling as a working farm was in my best interest I really think I would sell it for the most possible money and then go RVing. Downsize and go places, while I still use some of my skills. I do have a used RV and Nature has already forced me to downsize but still with the land. But I trust you know what is best for you.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We moved here because our daughter and family was here. They moved to Odessa for better jobs, then moved to Corpus Christi this past summer. I had already been telling my husband that we ought to move a couple hours south to be closer to family. This is not a new rash decision. Without the love of my life, I have no family anywhere near. Moving to my son’s rent house on 2 acres will give me time to figure out where I want to be. I’m not giving up farming, keeping 12ewes and my ram. Plus my LGDs. I’m a firm believer in that when the time is right, God will show me where I need to be. I just know I don’t belong here anymore. Thank you for your love and concern.

Medicine Woman

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Happy Sunday everyone. I woke up earlier than usual. DH not exactly as good as usual. I fetch lots of things for him. It was a 2 pot coffee day. I went to the 11:00 Mass and went to my farm to feed everything. I swear I am going to have a big slaughter day as soon as possible. I really think I have 3 Tom’s and 2 turkey hens but DH thinks opposite. But they kinda cocky and I really don’t need one of them to leave my yard and jump a kid. I also have too many drakes and I need to check how many unwanted roosters. They should be all chill about now, drunk on fermented grain. I didn’t cleanup my yard because DH requested grits and eggs and I have his chores to do now. Oh....he is up from a nap. Sure hope pain free. See y’all.

Latest posts