Are we living our dream?

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Continued from once upon a time. So my dream became a nightmare for a while and eventually I got back on track. Married a farmer who doesn’t exactly do everything exactly like me but still manages to make it work and is king of the dumpster dive. I did have to go to work full time because of certain complicated family obligations but I was on such a good roll. I was almost totally done with all debts and then I could have eased into retirement planning but here came Hurricane Ida.
I still want freedom from debt, utilities, grocery stores to an extent but Ida has tested me greatly. This is kinda my intro but I will follow up with my game plan for making that lemonade with all those lemons I was sent.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Excuse my mess. I had 5 cracker cans that I have been keeping my dry goods in but I got tired of opening them to find the rice, cornmeal, flour and such. I bought one can of spray paint and a silver permanent marker. I cut the corners of an index card rounded to use as a stencil for my labels. DH helped me with a little art work.

Attachments

• 9388A624-763C-4A65-AF49-B04A33A99E68.jpeg
    9388A624-763C-4A65-AF49-B04A33A99E68.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 42

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My MRI and CT scan revealed no new growth on my spinal column so I’m probably fine for removal of the hardware that is holding me together. And I was examined by another dentist who is in love with my 32 teeth and says I can keep them and start bone density treatments rather than have my wisdom teeth removed so he is now my favorite dentist. I don’t feel like having another surgery every week.
I have been going clean up in the orchard several times a week. Sometimes I can’t do much but I am getting stronger and the orchard is getting prettier.
My sister called me today and asked if DH could bring her to the cardiologist and I called her a little while ago and apparently they are eating out. Makes me happy that he took her to her appointment and to eat at a moment’s notice. She only has one child who, herself has 4 kids….some of which are very small.
I want to go to the orchard but I think we going to the movies because we have multiple girls birthdays 🤷‍♀️

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your family loves you and it doesn’t get much better than that. You have devoted your whole life to caring for others. Now God says it’s your turn for others to care for you. It’s hard to accept after a lifetime of service to others. Big hugs.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Prayers for the radiation doing it's job and not too much problems for you to handle. The inactivity drove me nuts after the knee replacements with all the pain, so I can understand the frustration of not being able "to do"....
Keep up your spirits... you are on the "getting better side" of it....

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You have so much going on right now, I am sorry as it sounds like you are carrying a lot of weight on your shoulders. Know that you are loved and though many of us can't be there with you physically we got you-even if all we can do is lean an ear and a shoulder (virtually).

If there is anything I can do please let me know, really please let me know. Love and prayers

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good morning. I was afraid I couldn’t log onto this site while drinking coffee and Facebook is boring me. Woke up at daybreak in the quiet just the way I like.
My cousin came over yesterday early morning with his daughter. Daughter told me she hadn’t slept in 3 days. I cooked breakfast for everyone, wile Cuz and DH sighted the pellet gun and I told the daughter to go to bed in DD’s room. These are the type of relatives that some of the family won’t even look at due to past mistakes. He has never harmed me though. I thought the daughter would be spending the night but they must have had plans. Made me a little nervous to leave for the doctor with daughter asleep and cousin with drained car battery still there but I knew they wouldn’t touch anything in my absence. Still....considering I lost my house and I am grateful to not be homeless I am just glad I had a bed to send her to sleep in.
So cardiologist told us to diet and exercise....not much I can add to that. Wants us to walk. I don’t mind except when your feet hurt so much it’s hard to think about walking 20 minutes on concrete (which is where DH imagines us to go). I rather go walk in the orchard if I have to walk. Mother Earth gives; concrete doesn’t.
Cousin said he might go to the coop with us today if we go to work. That would be a blessing. I went yesterday afternoon with his daughter after picking up DD at the ex and caught hell with the wire cutters, trying to close in the coop. Probably about to head back. I love being there. I really think eventually I will call it home again, although different than pre Ida.
Going to Fort Polk Christmas morning to be with DS and family. Might stay in a hotel that night and leave the next afternoon.
I finally received a gift from a cousin I have, who lives in CA. She really shocked me. She sent me $1,000. I told her I would never have expected that much. I am honestly humbled. She doesn’t in the least understand my lifestyle so she probably imagined horrible suffering from my misfortune which I won’t deny...mentally anyway but...well I thought she knew I have survival skills and if anyone could get through this, it was me. I might take the money and play with it and see what good I can do with it. There really are suffering people down here after all.
So I didn’t see the turkey hen yesterday dead or alive. Hope I see her in a little bit.
Supposedly my godchild has some clothes DD1 sent down for me and I best go over and get it because I am really shy on clothes since Ida thinned out my wardrobe. Oh I have a few cash gifts and some FEMA money but I can wait for the Catholic Community Center to reopen. I am not so desperate that I will pay full price for something so temporary as clothes....heck not just clothes but everything. DH’s doctor was throwing away his waiting room chairs and I took so many of them and other things.
Been thinking about aquaculture lately. This house has more windows than I am used to and I am thinking instead of putting curtains, why not measure and cut PVC pipes and cap off and grow green beans and a salad garden or herbs....whatever.