Are we living our dream?

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Don't count your piglets either. I have never had pot bellies, but in the big - normal - breeds of hogs, a litter of 10 was good sized. I strove for 10-12... never kept a sow that raised less than 8. Most pot belly pigs that I have heard of/read about have about 6 and them getting laid on is common due to the fat/flab the sows have. Here you cannot barely give away pot belly pigs... no one likes to eat them because they are so fatty.... My sows also had to be concerned mothers and not lay on their pigs... had one that would just flop down with the piglets screaming and she didn't care... after going out and getting her up to move everytime I heard them, she went in a house with a "farrowing shelf" around the outside so the piglets could get under it if she was laying down and crowding them up against the sides... and she got done raising the 5 or 6 out of a litter of 11 and went down the road...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, potbellies are pretty much give aways here....more of a beg you to take them!! 😁

Our TSCs have "swap days"...used to be once a month or so. No certificates or anything. Just show up, set up, clean up as you leave. An animal yard sale, so to speak. You could bring anything animal, garden or farm related.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah, potbellies are pretty much give aways here....more of a beg you to take them!! 😁

Our TSCs have "swap days"...used to be once a month or so. No certificates or anything. Just show up, set up, clean up as you leave. An animal yard sale, so to speak. You could bring anything animal, garden or farm related.
That is what our TSC 's do also. Some list it as a "draw in" for getting customers that will come... buy that "adorable bunny" or a couple of chickens... then they need feed and a waterer and a feeder ... you get it.