Are you planting a fall garden?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here's a link that might help some discover what they can plant in a fall garden in their planting zone:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/What-To-Plant-Now.aspx

In the past, I haven't had good luck with a fall garden. But I'm determined to try again!

I have some Chinese cabbage seeds that are going out today.
We finished digging potatoes yesterday, and started replanting the little ones. Last year I got a boatload of volunteer plants in the spring. Right now, I'm about sick of dealing with spuds, but that feeling will pass...
I'm going to plant half of my little multiplier onions next month and mulch heavily. The rest I'll keep til spring in case I lose these over the winter.
Get another garlic bed started. I grow enough in one season to freeze, then use that until I'm getting low, then plant again. I'm not a snob about garlic.

On a side note, yesterday I picked three ripe grapes from my grapevine! First grapes the plant has ever produced, and they were wonderful! :weee

It's the simple things in life...

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just got my collards, Mustard-Spinach, carrots, beets and turnips in. I love me some beets!

All our grapes withered up...drought. But the Muscadines are starting to come in...hope they'll hang in there!

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Planted some spinach and lettuce yesterday, as well as some more carrots. Will put in some green onions and peas some time this week.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Unless someone comes up with seeds to harvest in 14 days or less, no. :(

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Mustard and turmips, carrotts are sown, cabbage is in the trays. :D

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have some potatoes in vegetable drawer saved from spring garden need to check with hubby and see if we can plant.. Would love to pick up some vegetable plants too.. will have to see if he wants garden this fall.. With the drought not sure if he will want to mess with it.. I sent link to my cousin because she gardens and hubby said you have to have a way of watering it.. I guess he is only going to depend on rain.. If we had done that this past spring we wouldn't of had any vegetables LOL...

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Just got done planting a small fall garden. I planted kale, swiss chard (never planted it in the fall before), lettuce, beets, turnips, and collards. I wanted to plant spinach, but I didn't have any seeds left over and I can't find any anywhere! I may plant garlic a little later on too.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I was gonna but then that dang storm blew through. I did some garden clean up and will get to it hopefully this week. Back to school tomorrow! I really just want to replant some greens and get in my garlic for next year.