Are you poor? I just gotta get this out....

OrganicKale

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Most people in my field make a lot more money than I do- but, they pay a huge price. I am not willing to do that. I work hard, but I look at coworkers who are willing to work until 2 am (or later) and I know that there is not enough money in the world to make me want to do that. I have certain things that I like and I want and I work just hard enough to get them. I need to make sure I have time to be outside, walk in the woods, cook real food, grow things, sew, quilt, etc. I have so many interests beyond work and money. It is about balance, for me. I don't feel the need to keep up with the Joneses or anyone else. I don't care what people think of me, and I dont' have anyone to impress. I just enjoy nice things sometimes- not fancy things, necessarily, but pretty things and fun things. Maybe it is because I grew up without them. I am very grateful for what I have.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Are you talking to people who are below the poverty line only? B/c that is what it seems like, and if so, I won't respond, but I have a completely different take on things.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Are you talking to people who are below the poverty line only? B/c that is what it seems like, and if so, I won't respond, but I have a completely different take on things.
Not at all. Really anybody can be percieved as "poor" but it's just folks opinion. DH's uncle next door lives in a trailer his parents bought back in...oh bout 1800 ;) but it's what he likes, and the man has never missed a day of work, never bought much of anything, and has enough cash to burn for heating during the winter for the rest of his life if he so chooses :lol: Everybody around here THINKS he is too poor to afford a new place.

This whole rant is more about folks assumptions than facts.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree Organic
it is a 'work as hard as you want for what you personally want in life"

and if you do that, then one should lead a content and happy life I would think (as long as there isn't many other problems like medical issues etc. that could be life altering etc.)

---------------------

so Wanna--basically 'you seem to show a perception' of 'looking' poor and people then feel 'the need to comment'? offer help or advice or whatever to make you 'richer' or something lol-- is that right???

somehow you have to shut out the comments I guess. Whomever is giving you the comments, you need to tune them out. Don't answer that phone or something :lol:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FC, not people in general...FAMILY. TOTALLY different animal we're dealing with :lol: Not many even know our financial situation. I think my cousin meant well but just did not understand how stupid what she said sounded to me in the context of the situation. It was just a remark about getting a "real" job, rather than doing what I do around the home. It was SOoooooooo dumb. I don't care if my house payment was a day or 10 late. It got there, and I didn't have to drop my kids at a sitter, to go to a job I hate, to get it there. This is the SAME cousin who dreams of being a SAHM because I do it :th Some folks are never satisfied...ever, and sometimes I think they don't want those of us who are satisfied to STAY satisfied. Misery loves company. Thankfully, i rarely see this particular cousin because she is ALWAYS busy working :rolleyes:

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Oh, I'm not saying I don't want to make a bit more so I can be more comfortable. But I don't think I'm as poor as my income would suggest.

Most people with more money also overspend so much that they are so much in debt, it is ridiculous. Which poor people do too.

But for my income level, I have a LOT more money than most folk at this level do. Heck, I have more money than folk who make double what I do.

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I hear you loud and clear WBF. My Dh and I often talk about this. He is a teacher and I'm a SAHM. We are currently having trouble refinancing our home loan because of past mistakes. So, I'm learning more about SS because of our financial situation. But, I don't consider us to be poor. So what if we wear used clothing and have an older vehicle. We don't have a cell or a new computer. I get to be with my daughter 24/7. We eat really well. I could go on and on. I also think not having a lot of money encourages our creativity and resourcefulness. In contrast, A friend of mine constantly talks about her financial situation and walks around calling herself poor but, her husband makes twice as much as mine. Her bills are paid and she has no debt. She said she get 30 dollars extra every week just to spend. Funny thing is she is always mad at our other "wealthy" friend who constantly brings up her own debt and financial situation. :rolleyes: She thinks she talks about money too much. I feel sorry for her. Why does she feel so poor? Yesterday my dd called me "mom" for the first time. Sometimes I feel so rich.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Some people feel poor with a couple thousand sitting in the bank, after their bills. Other people feel fine if they make the rent and have food in the cabinet.
The most I ever made in a year, was barely over the poverty line but I was happy cause I had my own place, good friends, and was doing work that I enjoyed.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When we lived in California, we were always 1 paycheck away from disaster, and the stress was horrible. I was praying for help... "Abundance" was what I asked for. Now we live here in rural Oregon; my husband makes approximately half of what he made in California, our house is smaller but we don't have anywhere near as much stress (there is still some, but that's just because of the times we live in, lol). I realized that "Abundance" doesn't necessarily mean lots of money.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
not people in general...FAMILY. TOTALLY different animal we're dealing with ................................Some folks are never satisfied...ever, and sometimes I think they don't want those of us who are satisfied to STAY satisfied. Misery loves company.
We must be related to the same people :th In my case, my Inlaws think we're poor, and we just don't feel poor, because I feel like we're rich in what matters - family (i.e. the one we have created together), good friends, and a partnership with eachother that so far has helped us work together through problems (even if I do occassionaly wish I could whap him with a rolling pin LOL).

The inlaws change cars like they change underwear, have credit card debt up to their eyeballs, have one house that's in foreclosure (his story to explain this was HILARIOUS! The housing market tanked, meaning his home was no longer worth the value of his mortgage, so the bank is taking it back to get him out of it. I've never heard of a bank doing that! They don't want your house, they are taking it because you didn't pay the payments!), they are living in the second house (and we heard all about the inground pool), and have two kids that have e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g.

They brag about going on cruises, going to Disney, going to Sea World yadda yadda yadda.

It's all stuff, and I've learned one thing about stuff - you can't take it with you when you leave this earth.

When they come here, they think (especially his wife) that the farm is stinky and gross (the only good thing I can say about Elroy, that big ol' goat buck we had - he made my SIL gag from his stench HAHAHA).

They also act like we're a petting zoo, and would only come here to give the kids a "tour of the animals".

IMO, they're the ones who are poor, because they just don't get it.