Are You Really Prepared?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
For me, preparation will also include processing my own birds. Just can't do it. But I am working my mind towards it. It was a huge step for me to stay in the vicinity during the worst of it and pluck two turkeys this year. Next goal....keep my eyes open the whole time! :/

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea it is a huge difference between eating and not eating.

my grandma did the processing cause there was no grocery stores nearby. You HAD too...LOL

but then came the meat man...Mom said he would drive his horse and cart up and down the roads of town with fresh plucked birds etc. Mom said if she could, grandma would spare the money for some meat. She said it was easier to pay then do it..HA HA

OH--Mom says you sure ate different as a kid. Many days were bread and butter/jam and field peas. Basic food to survive. Anything above that was special and to be truly enjoyed.

I wish we had that "love of food like the olden days"---not love of food as we see it now, tons to eat, everywhere crap, obesity on the rise etc. Olden days food was to be treasured ya know.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Things are really tight here this year....and I was just commenting to my folks when they were staying with us last week.....isn't it interesting how GOOD the food is when you are at your poorest!

For those who know how to make it themselves, that is. When there is no money, there tends to be time. So the food is SOOO good, all homemade from scratch, every last bite.

Of course, it is August. That makes a huge difference. :p

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
freemotion said:
For me, preparation will also include processing my own birds. Just can't do it. But I am working my mind towards it. It was a huge step for me to stay in the vicinity during the worst of it and pluck two turkeys this year. Next goal....keep my eyes open the whole time! :/
If I knew how to insert a roftl animated icon right here, I would do it !

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Click on "Post reply" then look to the right....it will say "Smilies (show) (hide). Click on (show). Put the cursor where you want the smilie, and click on the smilie. :lol: If you don't leave a space, it will do this:lol:

Now go practice! :lol:

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
And so many windows of opportunity to be even MORE annoying than I am naurally ! :celebrate

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your garden UncleJoe. I think as a "non farmer" I have this issue as a full time thing. There is no possible way even on my two acres of hill, I could grow enough to feed my family all winter. Someday I long for a farm but make the best of what I have for now.

I buy my bucket items in bulk. Can what I can from the garden and in season sales at the market. I will still need to purchase meats. :barnie

So I guess I am really not all that prepared either. But working harder at it every year. :D