Are you.....

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well. I am certainly not where I expected to be and I have no idea where life will take me, but I'm enjoying where I am at the moment. Yes, there are things I would love to change that can't be changed (neighbors, traffic) but in the big scheme they don't really matter as long as we can do what we want where we are.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes. Of course things could be better, but I love where I live. We call it Mayberry. Last week my car died and while waiting for the mechanic, I sat under a tree to read a book. I can't count the number of people that stopped to offer help, and a woman that I had never met offered me a ride. I didn't get much reading done, but I went home actually happy for the experience of car trouble.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind being wealthy enough to retire, but for now things are good. I live in the city so I have to put up with various restrictions and traffic, but my neighbors are wonderful, I'm close to family, my work is intellectually stimulating and pays well enough, and I actually like city living (except for the traffic). I used to think I'd like to have more land so I could have more animals, but now I don't think so. DH is an airline pilot and I'm hoping that when DD goes to college in a few years we can travel more (we haven't been able to travel in the easier/cheaper "off-season" for several years because of DD's school schedule). Travel and livestock ownership don't work so well together. I would like my student loan debt and the mortgage to be gone, but those are the only debts we have, so I can't complain. (Well, in a week or two I will have a car loan, but I'm hoping to pay it off quickly.) So overall, I like where I am for now; who knows what the future will bring.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
No, I'm not where I want to be, not even close! But, IMO, at least for me is, am I where God wants me to be?
I agree with this totally.

I would love to live on the prairie someplace where the land is open and the sky is big. I would love to be able to raise a few head of beef cattle, some sheep and maybe even my own bacon. Hubby would be happier also. That would be worth a lot to me. Living in this dirty city gets us both so down.

Still, God knows what he is doing. Living in this old house has taught me an amazing amount of things. I can now wire, plumb, do basic carpentry in addition to all of the SS skills that I have learned while living here. I am efficient. Something I would have never learned if I had always lived where I had lots of space. Now days with my health failing I really need that efficiency.

I still want out in the country, but God MUST be in control. When He is ready I will have that little house on the prairie.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Well, we're in right State now and are waiting to move to a fixer upper 'way out' on 3 acres. Then the fixing starts! It will be a while before I can even consider getting chickens or a goat or have a garden but we are in the right place and that is such a blessing!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I always say to SO, I wish we could take this plot of land and move it at least an hour outside the city. But then I would be too far away from DD to babysit her son. So I guess I have the best of both worlds after all.
DD would like to live outside the city too. The other day we were taking a drive and we both saw lots of lovely places we would like to live at. We would like a piece of land big enough for at least 3 families and homes. We could share raising food, animals and kids. Those who like to work at a specific job would work to bring in money and those who want to stay on the farm would take care of the kids and do the farm chores to the best of their ability. One of the people we would like to have living with us has a very painful and debilitating genetic disease and we love her dearly and we won't mind taking care of her on her bad days.

We can dream and maybe we will get our dream sometime soon....

In the meantime we feel blessed to be living where we are and being able to grow most of our own food, have some family close, some good friends and most of our neighbors are decent people. The climate is rather good as well, afterall who wouldn't like a mediteranean climate.

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, at the age we are in our lives, I would say we are ahead of where most people want to me. Me and DH have jobs (careers, rather than just jobs), we own our own home...a nice sized one in a village with about of acre of land, we have two wonderful boys, we both have cars...I mean we are pretty happy! We are currently looking at moving as I commute a long distance for my job, and we are looking for a place with at LEAST 6 acres. And become more SS. Gonna have a family cow, sheeps, chickens, turkeys, ducks, piggies...the whole Ol' Mc Donalds farm! Except goats. (I think)

We are on our way, and altho I am very anxious to where we will be in the next 5 years, I am happy for what we have :)

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We are where we want to be financially and soon we will be where we want to be physically. Through a lot of hard work, we are debt free. Through a lot of heartache, we will soon be on our farm where we want to be. We are inheriting my family's farm (love the farm, sad to lose my brother). We will take a loss on our house when it sells, but it is what it is. It will still be a win in the long run as we won't have a mortgage on the farm. I am blessed to have a husband who is on board with self-sufficiency 100% and is open to the idea of being a small scale farmer. I am blessed to have children who love the farm life. I am blessed with a wonderful job. I want to be more SS, but that is a journey, not a destination.

I just told DH recently that it is ironic listening to so many people talk about the financial crisis and they are losing their cars, homes, etc. and here we sit in better financial shape than we have ever been.

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Am I where I want to be?

Yes and No.

Yes, I am where I want to be, because I am here in a new and beautiful home with the love of my life, my immigration application has gone through for permanent residency consideration, I passed my drivers test, and everything is going well and we're happy.

My location though... I live in the 'burbs. Not a lot of space for proper gardening, which is why I rent two plots at the community garden, and have been ripping out shrubs as I get to them to make space. I have no room for animals or bees, which is sad, because those are two things I'd like to learn to do, beekeeping for our own honey, and raising fish, fowl and beast for eggs, milk and meat.

I hope that one day we can move to a bigger property, if not neccesarily a bigger house, but that probably won't happen until I get my dual citizenship and we become truly settled.

Right now, I'm working on trying to teach myself skills, and hopefully I'll find a way to make extra cash to help pay for this house.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
So far I am where I want/need to be in my life plan.

Family that I get along with and LOVE. Check.
Friends I can depend on. Check
Guns and ammo and personal defense plans. Check.
The ability to grow, raise and store food. Check.
Emergency G.T.F.O.O.D. bag packed and ready to go. Check
Property that is paid for. Check.
Income to pay bills. Check.

Everything else is an option.