Article ideas

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
My problem with editing is that people might get their feelings hurt. I don't want to alienate any more than I already have and wish I hadn't alienate anyone. But, those things happen.

Hmm, I think starting a sentence with but isn't proper. :/

kaycei

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Any time you publish something, it should go through an editing process. It drives me nuts when my office sends out a document that doesn't go through an admin. (Of course I probably feel that way because I'm one of the admin). Besides, having that extra set of eyes is always a great help.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Let me apologize. I think I was probably offensive in my strong wording! I really think there is incredibly valuable info out there, but some people are better at being coherent and grammatically correct than others. My husband is like that--nearly incoherent at times ;) but having lots of wonderful knowledge once you wade through the grammar.

I don't think ANYbody should feel intimidated about writing articles. Maybe we could all agree to peer review ahead of time so that nobody feels embarrassed over editing needed?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Write about tried and proven things. If something may not be mainstream
This is where I would have a problem. In my SS life, I've found very few things that are tried AND proven and definitely not much mainstream. When you are recycling, building things from scratch, following an old family recipe or habit, it is rarely proven or mainstream, merely tried and stood the test of time or is something new you wanted to try to see if it worked...and if it did, you want to share this.

Anything that is tried, proven and mainstream is likely in a book or mag somewhere and nothing really new. We could just post a link to something like that. Most of the articles I enjoy reading are about people who have taken a chance on trying something, found it worked for them and have offered up their results for the consideration of others who might want to give it a try.

dacjohns

Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Write about tried and proven things. If something may not be mainstream
This is where I would have a problem. In my SS life, I've found very few things that are tried AND proven and definitely not much mainstream. When you are recycling, building things from scratch, following an old family recipe or habit, it is rarely proven or mainstream, merely tried and stood the test of time or is something new you wanted to try to see if it worked...and if it did, you want to share this.

Anything that is tried, proven and mainstream is likely in a book or mag somewhere and nothing really new. We could just post a link to something like that. Most of the articles I enjoy reading are about people who have taken a chance on trying something, found it worked for them and have offered up their results for the consideration of others who might want to give it a try.
I think you took that quote out of context.

I agree that much is already published somewhere. If you look at many of our threads you will find that much of the information in them isn't really new. On the other hand if you haven't heard it before then it is new to you.

There is a lot of "alternative" medicine and diet in Sufficient Self. I'm just suggesting that these type of topics be preceded by the disclaimer that it is the authors opinion or whatever might apply.

dacjohns

Reaction score
me&thegals,

I'm the same way. If something is full of errors I have a hard time taking it seriously. Articles are not the same as informal chatting. They should be reasonably free of errors and should be easily understood by the target audience. If not, we chance losing who we are trying to reach.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For me, if you are going to "write an article" you best do it right.

Articles are not chit chat about what you may have done in your garden or life or anything like that. If you want a "chit chat" article then make it one, without confusing a true real informational article and a chit chat type article. (UGH---did I make that hard to understand....I know what I want to say...HA HA HA)

You say the word "article" and you should truly have correct grammer, etc. etc. and correct information.

If you want an "over the fence" article about "possible" but not proven ways to do do things, then just keep chatting on the forum. That is the outlet for that type of info.

But true articles mean people might listen and it is best that "article" is real.

Just my thoughts.