As Seen On TV

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Has anyone else tried the Magic Mesh screen door? It is a mesh curtain with magnets in the middle to make it close itself after you go through. I bought one at a "Big-Mart" type store, and of course DH kinda made fun of me. (Yeah, I'm a sucker sometimes) But I finally convinced him to help me put it up. We used staples along the edges, instead of the stick on velcro pads that come with it. After adjusting the length and repairing one of the plastic magnet holders, I am happy to report that it works!! It clicks back closed just like the ad shows! Of course, bugs could still get in if they are crawling, but for those insects that fly right in your house if the door is open, it works well. We like to leave our patio door open in the morning till it starts getting too hot, so I am happy to have this.:cool:

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We picked on up to use on the camper door as it has no screen door. It was way too big so I put it back in the box and ran it up to the "real" shed.

Then the light bulb went off! :D I checked it's size on the 3.0 door and it fit perfectly!

I did the same as you, staples along the outer edges and it works like a charm! I love to be able to open that door now when I'm working in the shed as I get an excellent cross-breeze from the open west window and the screen door! :D

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't you just love it when things work like they are supposed to?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've been wondering about that. I want one on my back door, and one in the tack shed. And they say you can get 1 free, just pay separate shipping and handling fees. So, how much is the total?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I sooooo need one of those for the mornings for the back door when I'm feeding. I try to run in and out with my hands full and let the dog in and out with me etc. That'd be SO much easier! Thanks for the consumer report ;)

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Deb,

We don't have a tv here so we cheated and picked ours up at Home Depot. One of the best $20.00 we've spent, atleast in my opinion. ;)

so lucky,

It was even better because we were there looking for something else and they had this huge display in the center aisle for these doors. I circled it like a hawk, nabbed it up and hope to be able to find them again once we get the cabin built. :fl

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just bought mine locally at a big box store. Walmart will probably have them. I paid $15 for mine. Be careful of the TV offers. I ordered something like that from a TV offer once--buy one, get one free-- and it took about 3 months to get it and the "postage and handling" was ridiculously high. And the order was wrong, to boot. So, just cautioning you to try to buy it locally if you can.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i have one, momma sent it.
i both love and and not like it.

first the not likes:

1: the velcro they supply to hang the door doesnt stay stuck well, especially at the very top, it comes with little tacks but mines against a metal frame and the tacks wont go through the metal.

2: with heavy use, it falls apart pretty quickly. mine tore at the very top first without much use, the "hemming" and the net pulled apart. combined with fact the velcro doesnt tick well to the door frame it was simply not closing because the top was not lining up right anymore, i ended up crazy gluing and then eventually cable tieing the very top and that fixed the problem...it now closes again.
1 of the magnets about 1/2 way down popped off one day, least the plastic casing popped open, i found the magnet and the back half of the casing but cant find the front so need to figure out a new way to attatch it...
and with the use of the dogs the bottom hem on one side has been pulled off. (this is an easy fix) with some glue and a sewing needle. i think thats a case of dozer running through and propbly stepping on it ect.

3: ive only had it up abotu 2 months and it looks like its been there for years lol

the likes

1: it works, even after being prety badly beaten, it still closes all on its own (now i permenntly tied the top magnet shut)
the only time i have trouble getting it to close automatically close is when its realy windy, and even then it will eventually close itself.

2: the dogs and cats took to it immediatly with very little prompting

3: while we do occasionally get bugs get in when the dogs come in and out, for the most part it works to keep the bugs out

4: no more being slamed on the ankles by an over enthusiastic screen door!

all in all...is it worth $20 + the crazy high shipping off TV...no...
is it worth $20 overall buying it at wallyworld ect, yep, ill be buying another one when this one gets beyond repair.
i was going to make my own, but after pricing good strong magnets and skeeter net it was a good deal and i do like it!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Think I'll just look for one in a local store then.

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have one for my side door and love it. For my double back door though I took an even cheaper route which for us works even better. See we have these monsters around here called no see ums - little teny tiny biting gnats.they are small enough to get through typical window screen. I bought an expanding shower/curtain rod and a roll of really fine mesh screen. Cut two pieces the length needed plus several inches by 1/2 the width plus a few extra inches. Overlap the two pieces lengthwise a little bit and sew together at the top then fold over a couple inches at the top and sew to make a pocket for the rod. For magnets - I have an abundance of free magnet business cards, etc. punch a couple holes around the edges and sew onto the screen where it overlaps so that the magnets grab each other. The magnets work weel to hold the outside edges closed too and makes it easily removable. Just sew magnets to screen and glue a match to the wall or door frame.