Attaching a manual grain mill?

RedneckWoman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have a Country Living Mill that we've C-clamped onto our kitchen counter but it shakes the counter while we're grinding wheat. LOL It's just a matter of time before the counter detaches, I think. I am wondering what you have attached your manual mills to that is sturdy enough?

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have a manual mill, but have put some reasonable thought into it. We eventually want to grow grains to feed the future nicely sized flock of birds I plan on having (but have to learn how to keep them first before I go there - I'm taking babysteps)

Anyway, my initial plan is to mount an electric one - that can convert into a manual - in a part of the shed that has been converted (at this point it hasn't happened yet and probably won't for some time) for my use..aka - food friendly and doesn't stink of fuel and oil. :sick - I may just get him to build me my own out building ;) I want DH to build me a table to use. Something fairly long, thick and sturdy with untreated wood. I'm thinking bolting instead of C-clamping.

Without having any experience with a mill - never used one before - I can only hope that will be enough.

RedneckWoman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have the Country Living Mill and it's really hard work to grind fine flour. I timed myself today and it took 3 minutes to get ONE cup of flour and that was going at a good pace. Grrrr. Getting your mill the option of electric like you said is a great idea! You are very kind to your birds.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I always though that mill was supposed to be the best. 3 min per cup? That's a lot. I wonder how long the cheaper ones take?

gina

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I use my outdoor picnic table in good weather.
Inclement weather; indoor workbench or the edge of my stone hearth or edge of my sturdy shaker church desk.
It is work but as with any new physical activity your muscles become accustomed and it does feel easier.
Try it when you are really angry-it will go as easy as a pasta roller, lol! (Although I try to save the angry moods for splitting wood with the monster maul, hahaha) :lol: