attempting to can and make jam/jelly soon..

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hey friends... ill be attempting to make jelly/jam jelly soon with pears. I am wondering if there are any gel's that you all would recommend (that are kosher)...... to make jam/jelly.

Also can you all post some of your recpies here...

youtube video recommendations are nice as well... thanks

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've taken to making all of my jams with fruit, local honey, and Pomona's Universal Pectin --I pretty much use the recipes in the package, they also have recipes on their website :)

I don't know if this product is kosher or not, didn't see anything in the FAQs on a quick glance, but I'm sure you can email them.

I've only made berry and one-fruit jams so far, but they've all turned out wonderfully.

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
moolie said:
I've taken to making all of my jams with fruit, local honey, and Pomona's Universal Pectin --I pretty much use the recipes in the package, they also have recipes on their website :)

I don't know if this product is kosher or not, didn't see anything in the FAQs on a quick glance, but I'm sure you can email them.

I've only made berry and one-fruit jams so far, but they've all turned out wonderfully.
how much pectin to you use for per canning event...? and how much oz do you get from that?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maschil said:
moolie said:

how much pectin to you use for per canning event...? and how much oz do you get from that?
One box is enough for 16 cups of mashed fruit plus sweetener, I got a total of 18 half-pint jars of jam from those batches combined--all from one box of pectin, and I only added a cup and a half of honey to each 8 cup batch of fruit :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wish I had some pears. :drool I like to can them cut in halves or quarters in a light syrup.

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i c you live in east texas..!!! wish you were closely... we have plenty ive been dehydrating most but its time to step outside my box

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
moolie said:
Maschil said:
moolie said:

One box is enough for 16 cups of mashed fruit plus sweetener, I got a total of 18 half-pint jars of jam from those batches combined--all from one box of pectin, and I only added a cup and a half of honey to each 8 cup batch of fruit :)
is it just me or is it expensive??? its basically 12 bucks for an ounce of pectin? hmmm...dont know how this will work out for mass production. lol

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maschil said:
moolie said:
Maschil said:
is it just me or is it expensive??? its basically 12 bucks for an ounce of pectin? hmmm...dont know how this will work out for mass production. lol
Only ~$3.50 here, can't imagine $12 :ep

It only takes 2 tsps per 4 cups of fruit and WAY less sugar than regular pectin, again the entire box makes about 18 cups of jam in total. Totally worth it to me because regular pectin is about the same price for only ONE batch of jam (3-4 cups of fruit) and needs 4-7 cups of sugar to gel, which makes the entire batch of jam cost more plus we don't need all that extra sugar in our life. But YMMV, and if it's $12/box it probably isn't worth it to you.

Canning pears is simple--peel, quarter, core, pop into jars with 1/3 cup sugar, fill rest of jar with boiling water, process in boiling water canner for 20 minutes. Lovely poached for dessert in the cold of winter :)

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
moolie said:
Maschil said:
moolie said:
Only ~$3.50 here, can't imagine $12 :ep

It only takes 2 tsps per 4 cups of fruit and WAY less sugar than regular pectin, again the entire box makes about 18 cups of jam in total. Totally worth it to me because regular pectin is about the same price for only ONE batch of jam (3-4 cups of fruit) and needs 4-7 cups of sugar to gel, which makes the entire batch of jam cost more plus we don't need all that extra sugar in our life. But YMMV, and if it's $12/box it probably isn't worth it to you.

Canning pears is simple--peel, quarter, core, pop into jars with 1/3 cup sugar, fill rest of jar with boiling water, process in boiling water canner for 20 minutes. Lovely poached for dessert in the cold of winter :)
yah it says 2 boxes of 1 ounce for 12 bucks

http://www.pomonapectin.com/order/usa/index.html

ah well.

ii found this one on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E50XBQ/ref=gno_cart_title_1

i think i will try this one
comes out to be about 2.81 each... not that bad i guess! LOL.... but this is good to know...going to read a couple more reviews... and prob get it... we have bluee berries/figs/ and pears...

just fount out about the Victorio VKP250 Model 250 Food Strainer and Sauce Maker

so this will get fun...

thanks so much for your help... i prob would have never attempted this..

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That looks like 2 1 oz boxes for that price, not just 1 oz, but it is still higher than what I pay in my local natural foods store which is around $3.50/box. You might want to check your local stores--around here the natural foods stores and kitchen stores sell it :)