Attitudes towards "Trash Picking"

Fairacre

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Trash picking. Garbage grabbing. Dumpster diving. Gleaning. Roadside rescue. Landfill liberation. Treasure hunting. What do you call it? What attitudes have you encountered about it? And how do you feel about it?

I figure most of us on this particular forum feel great about it and have few qualms about stopping almost anywhere to pick up anything left out for grabs. But what is the prevailing attitude among others in your area?

I live in a semi-rural acreage community that has bulk pickup twice a week. It's a great place to go gleaning, and many people do it. I routinely carry gloves, rope & bungee cords in my van all the time just in case I find a treasure along my travels. I've learned the hard way that if you see something choice you'd better stop then to grab it before someone else does. But somehow I still feel shy about it, and wonder what other folks think about me as I'm packing. Especially along my own street, I usually wait until after dark, after bedtime, and grab up my choices then. I think I'm the only one on this street who does this, and don't want my neighbors to think less of me.

Why are there still negative attitudes towards this? In this day & age with all sorts of discussion about "Reduce/Reuse/Recycle" you'd think that more people would be doing this, and less folks simply trashing potentially useful things. Whenever I do a big clean-out I'll sort my discard piles and separate the genuine trash from the reusable things. But other folks might set out a decent couch, then place leaking paint cans on top of it, then pile thorny branches on top of that.

In my previous neighborhood I had neighbors who would always set out useable furniture on the quarterly bulk pick-up days. And then their older children & teens would take baseball bats and amuse themselves by beating the furniture into splinters. That would always break my heart at the waste. There were always gleaners who would troll the neighborhood during bulk pick-up days and could have used those items. And today my new neighbors were clearing out the shed & back yard of the house they just bought. They piled some furniture out front (which I noted & planned to rescue after dark) and then took a power saw and cut a perfectly good yard swing into pieces!

I have NO idea why they did that. It wasn't so heavy, or rusted, or cemented into the ground, it could have easily been carried out to the road (and into my back yard!:() but now it's in pieces. They recently moved from one of their parents' homes in this area, so they must already be familiar with the gleaners who troll these neighborhoods.

I've been puzzling over this, and have thought of some reasons why a person would discourage/fail to enable those who would reuse their discards:

They don't want people making a mess of their piles (a legitimate concern, that's why I'm careful to keep things tidy).

They don't think their discards have any value any more, they sincerely don't think anyone else could find use with them.

It makes them feel rich to have things to waste.

They have distain for those less fortunate than them & don't want other people to have their discarded items.

I wish there were ways to promote this practice of "Trash picking", to encourage others to not be shy about it, and instruct folks in good ettiquete about it, both leaving things out & picking them up.

What do you think?

Slinkytoys

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Liability. If someone were to get hurt "gleaning" the playset, a nice fat lawsuit could be brought. Sad, but true. Some cities have regulations against trash picking. Businesses are even starting to lock their dumpsters until the pick up time, to avoid divers. Sigh.
Carrie McLean

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I think it probably never crosses the minds of some of those people (who ruin perfectly good stuff before putting it curbside) that someone will pick it up. Some people just don't notice things.

I have a "Free" sign I made and re-use over and over. I put stuff by the road and staple the sign to the utility pole next to it. I've gotten rid of lots of stuff that way.

Most people stop after dark. I feel self-conscious myself, and rarely stop. I prefer craigslist for my own free shopping.....although my recent experience with "the crazy lady" has made me reluctant to answer any ads unless dh is nearby.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I will pick larger items or building materials out of the garbage when I see something I can actually use. I'm still shy about it too, but getting more comfortable with it :)

I'm pretty lucky, my husband drives a garbage truck that picks up dumpsters from construction and demolition sites... he can bring home any of the stuff from the dumpsters... We've gotten doors, window fans, bathroom vanities, insulation, 400 square feet of underlay for our laminate floors, unlimited lumber... etc... we're on the look out now for a new kitchen, a few have gone through the quarry (they take things there to be sorted for recycling) but the more senior guys had first dibs...

I have no problem with it, and don't mind if people want to go through our stuff... I usually put my 'good' stuff off to the side in the hopes someone will pick it up before it heads to a landfill. Our bulk pick up is only twice a year, once in spring and once in fall.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
My hubby and I got some of our first furniture from that which someone else had dumped. :D We almost furnished our entire condo with "donations" - the only thing we bought was our bed!

I wish there were more drop off type spots or places who would pick up the used furniture and then perhaps sell it for a few bucks based on weight to cover the cost of rescue.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I stopped at a very nice house once that had several rooms worth of carpeting out by the road. I wanted it for my melon patch, to keep the weeds down. As I pulled up to the house, the home owners had just gone inside, so I knocked on the door and asked if it would be ok to take it. The woman with whom I spoke was very nice and said that it would be ok. As I finished loading it, she came out and handed me a dozen eggs, and told me that their chickens seemed to be producing extra. After thanking her and driving off, I looked at the eggs and they were store bought "Egglands Best". I guess that she thought that I was poor and that, if I was picking up old carpet for my home, I needed the help. :) I sent her family an anonymous fruit basket for Christmas that year.

I still pick up road side items occasionally, but now I feel very self conscience about it. :lol:

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My neighbor makes several hundred dollars a year picking up scrap metal on trash day.
I've found some great stuff myself. We once found a Gravely tractor complete with snowblower (worth about $800) in the trash. It still ran, DH fixed the timing and it is now our best machine.
We often put unwanted but usable items out with the "free"sign. They get picked up quickly.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
We have a twice per year free trash pick up in our town.
We built our chicken coop from last year's finds.

This year I loaded up every piece of wood I saw.
Others already picked the metal out, so there's never any of that.
I got a nice wing backed chair, a 10' long bench that only needs paint, a solid pine bookcase, a load of 2x4 pieces that I've already split into dry kindling, crown molding and a professional dartboard(to DB). I got a pair of perfectly good hip waders-useful for pond weeding,

A lot of folks cut the wood to 4' because they think they have to for the pick up. I got enough 4' exterior wood for a bridge over my creek.
Day, night, rain-I'm looking and stopping.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
We have 19% unemployment in our agricultural county. As well, a local homeless camp of 200 was recently vacated by the police. Every trash day, we have many people going through our trash cans when they are set out by the curb. Sometimes they pick up after themselves, sometimes they don't. We now have to be scrupulous about putting things in the trash that could be used against us. I find that irritating at best and an invasion of my property rights at worst. It's one thing to pick up forniture and other things that are left outside, but to go through another person's trash all the way to the bottom of the can is quite another. It's a problem here.