Auctions?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Ohio doesn't require a food inspected kitchen to sell baked goods. We are required to put ingredient labels on the baked goods, due to possible allergies.

I have a tentative spot reserved at the Farmer's Market selling my baked goods for next year.

Ohio requires you have health department approval IF you are a food vendor cooking on the spot.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sure wish we had auctions like that here.

All we have is a livestock auction every saturday and that is about 35 miles away.

If we are lucky there might be a farm auction or two in the summer and there two equipment auctions one in spring one in fall.

Years ago there were a few other ones that had "stuff" at them but those are all closed.

I really miss going to them.

We even drive 200 miles to one about twice a year, it is livestock,but at least they have birds, the one close by doesn't.

I really envy all of you!

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use AuctionZip every week to check out the goings-on in our neck of the woods. In this part of Indiana there are 5 to 10 auctions every week within a 50 mile radius of my house. Some are very good and some aren't worth the fuel to get there. The auctions usually slow down in Jul and Aug and then again in Jan, Feb, Mar. I have sold tons of stuff at consignment auctions. The auctioneer usually charges between 5% and 7% depending on the selling price. This may have changed as I have not sold for several years.

I love estate auctions. Especially old farms with lots of equipment. We go to two or three every spring. Just about all of my garden tools and equipment came from auctions. Two years ago I purchased a 56HP Ferguson tractor, 3 bottom plow, 8' disc, and 7' brush mower at auction. I won the bidding at $3,200 and in the next three weeks sold the plow, disc, and brush mower for $1,500. As it turned out I paid $1,700 for a $4,000 tractor. DW bought a very nice oak rocking chair just last Thursday night for $18 at an auction.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
abifae said:
How do you find the auctions?
Here's an auction site that I used to locate auctions near me: Auction Zip
That site it neat. But I know there is a livestock auction in a town east of me. But it is not listed at all on that site. I know that auction is at least once a month.. Hmmmm. Is there a different site that lists the livestock auctions. I also know of another auction that is twice a month, its near my aunts house. Its not listed either.

But any way its a good site. I found real estate listings.. Maybe one day I can save up for one of those properties.

Ok thats weird. I went back to that site to look again. When I search "all auctions" I dont find any livestock. But when I searched "farm" i found a 4-h auction.. I will have to play around with that site a bit more to figure it all out.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Ohio allows home prepared foods without inspections/license if they are labeled home produced.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
There are a few actions near us. There's a very large, well known furniture auction just down the road from our house. They've got a lot of neat things there. It's always on Wednesdays though, so I can't go unless I take off a day from work. There's also a livestock auction in DE not too far from here. It can be pretty shady, depending on what you're buying. They sell baked goods there and even butter. Sorry, but I don't think I'd buy butter from an auction. :idunno I've sold livestock at auctions, but not other stuff.

lorieMN

Power Conserver
Reaction score
we have auctions around here dailey from april until the end of nov..really,,you can find an auction within driving distance every day of the week if you want to,there is a local cattle sale every monday,another cattle,sheep and goats on wed..good thing I love auctions!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I may not need the auctions anymore!

Just got my FIRST repeat customer!!!!!!!!!!!